History of Slides on Hood

ryland_moore

I know that slides occur often up there, but have there ever been any documented slides on the S. Side Route of Hood? I know of slides on the variation to the lfet of the fumeroles and Crater Rock (ie, Mazama accident a few years back), but have there ever been parties that triggered an avalanche near the Hogsback or heading up to the Pearly Gates? What about down below Crater Rock and above the Palmer? ANyone? ANyone? Seems like a likely spot being S. Facing, open, and around 30 degrees, just have never heard of a slide on the STandard Route. If no documented slides on this route, then why do you think that is?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen slides come off the south west side of crater rock. I'm sure other aspects of that rock have let loose too. I have also heard that the slope on the east side of illumination saddle can get wind loaded and slide. Once approaching illumination rock from the SE I heard the big whomp and a crack formed about 30 feet above me. Scary Scary Scary!!!!! Nothing slid thank god.