BLACK DIAMOND O2 BINDING!

dalius

I have the original Skye O2 bindings from about a year ago (before BD bought them out). They're exactly the same as the new bindings sold today. Unfortunately, they're developing a problem and I was wondering if anyone else had the same experience with these bindings?

The Problem? The rear cable, the one that attaches the heel bail, is starting to fray at the point where it attaches to the bar that goes under your foot. I met someone else today that had the same problem and their cable snapped on them in the backcountry. It seems like my cable is destined to the same fate at some point. Totally sucks. madgo_ron.gifHas anyone else had this problem with this binding?

It seems the problem is that the cable is forced to turn a 90 degree angle upon attaching to that bar under your foot. How they figured this cable would withstand the test of time, I don't know. There have to be others out there with this problem. Anyone?

If enough people have this problem, then I guess they would maybe be recalled again, which would make them look like total fools with 2 recalls on the same binding.

I think this binding has many great design aspects to it, the super solid toe bar for one, the placing of the springs underneath the boot for second. It's just this damn cable that I know is going to break. madgo_ron.gif

I'm thinking of calling BD to see what they have to say. I'll share any news if I do...

In the meantime, let's hear if anyone else has had this sort of problem, or any other for that matter.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the black diamond O2 is a "NO2" this season.

a G3 binding will mount in the same holes, not having to redrill the skis.

BD said it was a "resin cure" issue, but having taken a good look at the integrated risers of both the O2, the replacement O2's they sent our shop prior to the total recall, and the O3 look to have similar points of pressure from the cable on thin ribs of plastic. a potential weakness.

I just talked to BD and here's the scoop...

A) All BD O2 bindings have been recalled, as stated above. The reason is something to do with weaknesses in the plastic in the toe plate. I guess a secondary reason for this recall is that the springs have been going "mush" over time.

B) Even though the original Skye O2 bindings are technically NOT on recall, BD is covering all warranties on them. This means that if you have any problems with them whatsoever, BD is willing to accept them in trade for a BD credit line. Unfortunately, they CANNOT issue any new parts for any old Skye O2 bindings because of the current BD recall. All parts are "frozen" until they clear up the problem with their manufacturing. You can only trade them in for BD credit or bring them back to the retailer you bought them from for store credit, cash, or whatever you can arrange with the retailer.

This is both bad and good for Skye O2 owners. It's good because if you have problems with these bindings, you can get them off your hands and go with something more reliable. It's bad because if you really like these bindings and something simple goes wrong with them, you CANNOT get them fixed due to the freeze on all parts.

That's the word.