Hyalite Info

CodyICE

I was thinking about driving to Hyalite for the weekend and climbing in the G1 and Dribbles area. I went to montanaice.com and they don't have a lot of info about conditions in the canyon, or what the road might be like. How far is it from the dam to the parking lot? How far could a front wheel drive car drive this weekend. Should I just stay home and enjoy the rain?

thanks for the info

Cody

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the exact distance from the dam, but the distance from the main road turn off is 13.9 miles to the parking lot.

When I went in January I called the local climbing shops and asked for conditions, they were real helpful and had good beta - you could try them. If you go, post back here with a tr.

Barrel Mountaineering

240 East Main Street

Bozeman Montana USA

ph: 800.779.7364 or 406.582.1335

fx: 406.582.1302

Northern Lights Trading Co

1716 West Babcock

Bozeman, MT 59715

Phone: 406-586-2225

Toll-Free: 866-586-2225

Fax: 406-586-7544

Email: greg_nltc@hotmail.com

Did ya go?

To answer your question anyway, typically only bilers are getting up there this time of year. Although the past few years have been different. I'd bet it be a major chore to get to the Res. from there it's about a 4 mile, mostly flat ski. bigdrink.gif

Too bad.

The warm weather can really mess that road up big time. Cold dry snow is much friendlier in there than wet slushy stuff, obviously. Red-neck types still like to rally their big wheel trucks up there regardless of the conditions, unfortunately this can really ruin the day for your typical Toyota drivin' climber.

The problem your un into in the spring is high-centering. My buddy has a heavy Defender 90 and we once spent all night winching the truck for almost three miles to get back to the dam. The winch cable was about 200 ft long, so you do the math confused.gif

In the future the best time for Hialite is Late Nov through mid Jan.

Although most of the big flows will be super blue fat and untouched right now if you can get your hands on a sled! bigdrink.gif