[TR] Mount Triumph - NE Ridge 07/13/2024

Trip: Mount Triumph - NE Ridge

Trip Date: 07/13/2024

Trip Report:

TLDR: The snowfield crossing to the NE Ridge still has significant objective hazards. I would expect hazards to be similar for a little while longer before enough snow melts/sloughs off that the risk is minimized.

I believe I can claim the first trip report of Mount Triumph in 2024. Sadly, I can’t claim the first summit of the year.
I was a part of a team of 4, and our plan was to climb Mt Triumph over 2 days, camping at the bivy site 2 pitches up the start of the NE Ridge climb.

Our timeline was as follows:

Depart Seattle Area

4:00 AM

Leave Thornton Lake Trailhead

7:15 AM

Reach the first Thornton Lake

10:15 AM

Arrive at the top of the Saddle above the 2nd Thornton lake.

2:00 PM

Arrive at the base of the notch

3:45 PM

Departed the base of the notch

5:15 PM

Returned back to the Saddle above the 2nd Thornton lake.

6:15 PM

Back to the trailhead

11:15 PM

Conditions on the way to the climb:
-The trail up to the first lake is well maintained

-The trail to the 2nd lake is a little bushwacky, but there is a defined trail up to it

-There were a couple creek crossings, all were manageable (trekking poles were nice, but not required)

-After the 2nd lake, you need to cross a boulder field that then transitions to heather/scree as you go up the col to the saddle above the 2nd lake. I’d recommend hugging the cliff to climbers right as you go up; the heather is easier than the loose rock and there is a faint trail to follow. Above the heather you get into much more loose rock, and though manageable, it becomes rather difficult to avoid dropping rocks on team members below you.

-For the time being, there is still plenty of snow and running water nearby this saddle if you plan to bivy here.

-The snow crossing was by far the most challenging part of the approach. After reviewing the objective hazards for a bit, and debating the best path, we opted to follow relatively closely to what I had read most trip reports follow, which is along the bench that leads to below the notch. Only one part of the bench showed any signs of recent snow/ice fall, which was unfortunately at the end, where we couldn’t travel too far below it since we need to start going up the face to get to the notch. We opted to move as fast as possible to minimize our time in the hazard zone. Even trying to minimize exposure, we still had a bit of excitement as some snow blocks broke off while our last team member was under the main hazard zone. Thankfully the snowfall behaved as we expected (if it were to fall) and stopped short of our crossing path. So the team member wasn’t in direct danger, but it certainly looked like it, and in the process of trying to get out the way, they unfortunately sliced their leg with a crampon. We took a break on a rock outcropping directly below the notch to bandage up the leg, and decide what to do. We decided the injury was significant enough that we didn’t want to spend another day on the mountain, and planned to make the descent back to the trailhead. We had dinner on the little rock outcropping, and spent the time re-evaluating our path on the snowfield. We saw one more exciting ice block fall, this time off the old glacier. This block made it all the way down to the bench that we crossed, and because of that, when we headed back we decided to traverse below the bench to better stay out of the path of any potential snow/ice fall. The snowfield was shaded on our way back, which helped with snow/ice fall risk.

Also worth noting, the mosquitos were bad on the way up in the heat of the day, but were downright miserable on the way back; didn’t matter if we were stopped or moving, they followed us relentlessly. DEET had a minimal impact, I’d recommend bringing a bug head net.

Lessons learned include:
- We picked about the worst time of the day to cross the glacier (hottest/direct sun). Unfortunately, if you are trying to do Mt Triumph in 2 days, it’s very challenging to avoid crossing this snowfield mid/late day; your best bet is to wait for the sun to dip below the peak of triumph and cast a shadow over the snowfield, which happened around 5:15PM for us. You can push the first crossing to early in the morning day 2, but that will just push back the 2nd crossing on the way back.
-We opted to rope up the first time we crossed the snowfield. This was to have a chance of protecting against additional glide avalanches. But because we were roped up, the last person on our team spent the longest time under the primary hazard zone as the steepness increased significantly above that zone and those of us in the front of the rope team slowed down on the uphill. This is why we opted not to rope up on the way back

2nd Thornton lake, col you go up on rightimage.jpeg.1cc982ddab280f3665ce7ee8f0e3b5fb.jpeg

First good view of Mount Triumph and the snowfield you need to crossimage.jpeg.c64d97485463fd5ffef315d0cce6d8a0.jpeg

View of the crossing we took on the way out (red), and back (blue) based on our changed opinions of the biggest objective hazards. Red X is far as we gotimage.png.4615feb28ad29bb3b42e9b2e45ea0aae.png

View of our path from the opposite side
image.png.18765add1ae77b35dbc748854982f891.png

Gear Notes:
-Crampons were quite nice for the snow crossing, even with the heat the snow had some spots on the traverse that were quite firm
-Brought a decent sized trad rack, but I didn't actually use it (so can't give any feedback there)

Approach Notes:
GPS Track available on Peakbagger: https://www.peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=2573855
I also shared a few more pictures on the PNW Peakbaggers Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/209335589972834/?multi_permalinks=1572843873621992

Edited by Christopher Fisher
  • Like 3
  • Snaffled 2
  • Rawk on! 1

15 hours ago, Christopher Fisher said:

Also worth noting, the mosquitos were bad on the way up in the heat of the day, but were downright miserable on the way back; didn’t matter if we were stopped or moving, they followed us relentlessly. DEET had a minimal impact, I’d recommend bringing a bug head net.

The N. Cascades are a special place this time of year for the bugs.  Thanks for sharing the conditions!