Jump to content

Jim23

Members
  • Content count

    13
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Jim23

  • Rank
    stranger
  • Birthday 12/13/1972

Converted

  • Occupation
    Mountain Guide
  • Location
    Bellingham, WA
  1. All gear in very good condition! I'm in Bellingham, but go down to Seattle and up to the Baker ski area regularly. <SOLD> BD Factor MX ski boots size 28.5 (327mm sole length) $175 <SOLD> G3 Ion 12 touring bindings $290 <SOLD> G3 alpinist ascension skins 100mm wide/ Med length(168-184cm) $85 Camp Corsa Nanotech Light ice axe (good for the climb up, light on your back on the ride down!) $90 <SOLD> BCA Tracker avalanche beacon $150 <SOLD> BCA 35cm snow saw- light, good for digging pits and shelters, $15
  2. Looking for alpine climbing partners for the Golden and Canmore areas. Also open to easy ski touring! I'm coming from Bellingham. Cheers, Jim
  3. Here's a link to the pictures in my mountain project thread! (There are 2): http://www.mountainproject.com/v/fs-koflach-arctis-expe-435-patagonia-ascensionist-40l-pack-scarpasportiva-approach-shoes/111345847 http://www.mountainproject.com/v/fs-80m-ropefootwearharnessintuition-linerscramponsjackets/111291304 Also adding a few items to original post (DAS parka, Patagonia Gore-tex shell)
  4. My feet seemed to have grown a solid half-size this summer, so I have to replace most of my footwear . Also selling some gear to raise xmas $ ! I'm in the Bellingham area if you want to check stuff out. I'll get some pictures up soon. Patagonia DAS Parka, size L, black very good condition! $125 Intuition Denali foam liners- aftermarket thermo-moldable inner boots for plastic double boots- very warm and light, only molded once (can be molded at least 3 times). My plastic shells shit the bed recently and I got some Spantiks, so no use for these now. Lightly used. $55 La Sportiva Boulder X Mid GTX approach boot, size 43.5 - 2015 model/color, great shape, just too small for me. $90 SCARPA Crux approach shoe, size 43, 2014 model/color, good shape, again too small... $60 Koflach Arctis Expe plastic boots sz 43.5, very good condition, $225 La Sportiva TC Pro rock shoes, recently re-soled, sz 42.5. I just scrubbed these shoes out completely and they do not smell whatsoever. $85 SCARPA Instinct S rock slippers. Great bouldering/sport shoe- recent resole. $75 BD Contact glacier/snow crampons- light, simple, stainless steel crampon, bought this spring and only used on snow, so very good condition! $85 Petzl Volta climbing rope- 80m, 9.2mm, Orange. Unopened in original bag. $195 Petzl Sama harness- 2015 model (orange), sz M, very good condition $45 Petzl Sama Harness- 2013 model (red), sz M, very good condition (barely visible wear on tie-in points, belay loop) $30 Patagonia Ascensionist Pack (large) 45L gray. I have the 20L version as well- awesome awesome pack, no holes, clean. I need something a little bigger, hence the sale. $90 (not sure about shipping- frame won't fit in smaller box, so could be a bit expensive)
  5. Selling a pair of 2013-14 La Sportiva Spitfire ski boots, mondo size 27.5. Spitfires are lightweight, 2-buckle boots, similar to the Dynafit TLT series (TLT5 & TLT6). Carbon cuff, Grilamid lower, 60 degree cuff rotation, etc. Worth noting - these boots are compatible only with tech bindings (i.e., Dynafit, Plum, etc). FYI I am about a US 11 street shoe size- they are a tad too small for me =/ These boots have two ski days on them. One was a long day on Mt. Washington last spring, and the soles do show some wear from rock-hopping. Other than that, there are very few scuffs, etc. See photos.
  6. great- thanks a lot Ponderosa!
  7. We're arriving into Salt Lake very late on a Friday, then driving over to Big Sandy early the next morning- do any of you have any beta as far as good towns to stop in for food/stove fuel on the way? Pinedale (slightly out of the way I think) and Laramie (quite a bit out of the way...) are two options I know of- any others? Thanks so much in advance!
  8. Can anyone recommend a good climbing guidebook and topo maps for the Cordillera Blanca in Peru? I have seen some of the 3a/3b/3c series maps (like, Swiss or something) but they are $20 each out of the map shop in Seattle- I'm hoping they might be cheaper or have local equivalents when I get down to Huaraz... Has anyone experience with the new regulations involving mandatory local guides for climbers in Parque Nacional Huascaran and elsewhere in the Blanca? Thanks for any info/recommendations! --Jim
  9. The Diamond, Longs Peak

    The Casual Route is a great route- as far as the technical difficulties, I think the long, sustained 5.8ish corners, the 5.8 squeeze chimney under the crux bulge, making sure you follow the traverse correctly, and the approach to and along broadway in the dark are the real cruxes. You should aim to be the first pair on the route by being roped up and ready to climb at 1st light, around 45min before sunrise imo. The closer you can get to Table Ledge by 11am (also when the face goes into shadow), the less likely you are to be rained off, although sometimes you can get lucky and have no storms until late afternoon or evening. Last time I was up there getting rained off of Yellow Wall, the guy on the route next to me complained of being rained off for the 13th time in a row before completing his route... Weather is more stable in early summer, but the cracks may be wetter and Broadway will have hard snow (making approach shoes + nut tool self arrest a bit desperate lol). A nice thing about early season (in addition to more stable weather and longer days) is the easy approach up the North Chimney with axe and boots, which sure as hell beats scrambling up the damn thing later on when it is a loose nightmare. Myself, I like camping in the Boulderfield, scrambling to Chasm View at 13,500ft and rapping down to Broadway before dawn. A caveat is that you might not sleep so well at the windy 13k foot sites in the Boulderfield if you are not acclimated to the altitude... An alternative to The Diamond is the neighboring Chasm View Wall's Directissima Route (III 5.9+): comparable climbing, easier approach and descent, sunny position and fantastic view of the Diamond throughout the day. It's a great primer for the Casual Route imo! Good Luck.
  10. NOCA NP trip

    A few questions for you guys that know the area and conditions this time of year: 1) are there bugs up around cascade pass/boston basin camp sites in mid-June? 2) are rock pitons at all useful on the rock ridge routes in the area in early summer? thanks for any info you can pass on! -Jim
  11. Hey guys- I'll be finishing up a job in Southern Peru at the end of July, then heading up to Huaraz for a month of late-season climbing/trekking in the Blanca. I'll be with my wife, who is not particularly interested in any serious mountaineering, but willing to play a support/cheerleader role from camp if I can hook up with a partner or two for more difficult ascents. I'm 35, have 16 years of mountaineering experience from Colorado and Latin American high volcanoes, although this is my first time climbing in Peru, and I'm a pretty good ice climber. I'm looking to do classic peak ascents and maybe some more challenging technical ascents (Ferrari Route if it's not too godawful crowded...) if partnership is a good fit. PM me any questions or ideas you may have. --Jim
  12. 10 days mid-June in N. Cascades?

    Great- thanks Brian, et al. for the info. BTW what do you think is the probability of the park service getting the road open by June?
  13. A group of us will be headed out to N. Cascades next month and we would be grateful for some advice re: an area where we can setup a base camp for the duration. 1. We're looking for good access to moderate outings for our less-experienced mountaineers and ideally some more challenging climbs for the veterans. Any suggestions? (Cascade Pass had come up, but w/the road being washed out...) 2. I understand there's a deep snowpack this year- is it such that skiis would still be necessary for approaches anywhere in mid-June? 3. If we arrive and poor weather is forecasted for much of our stay, can any of you recommend an alternative area w/drier weather as a contingency? Thanks for any info/advice you can share! 4) ah, also, can you recommend a good set of (paper) maps I can order online to facilitate planning?
×