Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Stephen_Ramsey

  1. Fine, screw the other thread grin.gif


    It seems the epic tent would make a lighter, less bulky alternative to two bivi bags. That is cool. Who wants to wait out a rainy day in bivi bag wink.gif


    But, from what I've seen of silnylon (I have a silponcho) it would be very important to seam-seal carefully. I don't know if the Firstlight is factory seam-sealed.

    Hi Stebbi,


    The BD Firstlight is not factory seam-sealed (at least, it wasn't when I bought mine last spring). You are right, it is important to thoroughly seam-seal it.




  2. There is a great picture of Aron Ralston in Outside Magazine, where he has an ice tool attached to his prosthetic arm. It looks like something customized for alpine climbing.


    I've also seen a picture of him climbing a 5.10 rock climb with a hook attached to his arm. Probably no one gives him grief about whether the climb was free or aid...


    That guy is amazing. thumbs_up.gif

  3. Hi all,


    Does anyone know of a good orthopaedic / sports medicine doctor in the Seattle area, who specializes in lower leg /ankle injuries? My surgeon is leaving the country, so I want to find a new doctor for follow-up care and rehabilitation. Doesn't need to be a surgeon, because I'm hopefully beyond that phase at this point. If you have any ideas, or need more information about the injury to make a recommendation, please PM me. Thanks.


    Steve Ramsey

  4. For what it's worth, I carry the Simmerlite on about 80% of the trips I take. The other 20%, I carry the Pocket Rocket.


    I have an XGK but it's only something I would carry on a long winter trip or (hypothetically) on an expedition.

  5. I saw this article in Tuesday's New York Times. They mentioned that the sports drinks only have about a tenth as much posassium as a piece of fruit, like a banana.

    Is anyone really guzzling Gatorade thinking it is going to supply them with their RDA of potasssium? Gatorade is supposed to replenish the amount of potassium that you lose through perspiration (and urination I guess) during extended exercise, above and beyond the RDA of potassium that you're supposed to get from a normal healthy diet. For this purpose, Gatorade's potassium concentration is designed to be similar to the amount of potassium lost per liter of fluid loss during exercise. As for whether it has too much sodium in it, I'm not sure. It very well might. But judging Gatorade against the nutritional content of spinach or canteloupe is kind of silly. To my mind, they serve different purposes.

  6. Brits certainly used similar all through 1930s on N. side of Everest, earlier in Antarctic plateau, etc. etc..& never complained much.

    I'm guessing those tents were made from heavy canvas, and the poles were stout wood poles. I don't think this is so much a validation of the design, as it is of the strength of the materials that they used.


    The fact that they didn't complain much is likely because they were British.

  7. With 2 rigid poles, at least eight staking points and snow banked around edges, it's gotta be as wind-stable as ANY tent on the market. Without the snow it's nearly as stable...

    Yes, and that must be why you see so many Betamids pitched at the South Col on Everest. hahaha.gif


    Any tent is wind stable, if you put enough work into building the campsite:



  • Create New...