[TR] Mt. Stuart - North Ridge 8/16/2008

telemarker

Trip: Mt. Stuart - North Ridge

Date: 8/16/2008

Trip Report:

What this site needs is a TR of the N. Ridge of Stuart. Kyle Flick and I set off at 2.30am from Stuart Lake T.H., approached the N. Ridge via Stuart Lake in 5.5 hrs. Reached the notch in 4 hours, the summit in appx. 9 hours. No crampons or ice axe needed. Kyle descended via Sherpa/Argonaut Col, me via the Crapcadian, banking on a ride to Cle Elum, then back to Wenatchee.

MANY THANKS to Lisa D, Chris, Morgan, Joey, Molly, and Brian for the beer and food at the T.H., and breakfast in Cle Elum!!! :brew: :brew: :wave: God you guys are funny. Hope we get to climb a few pitches sometime! Nice going on your north ridge climb too.

Just wanted to add a few photos to the 'ol archive! Enjoy!

Morning Light

traversetonridge.jpg

northbasinsunrise.jpg

stuartflowers.jpg

Scrambling the Lower Ridge

scramblinglowerridge.jpg

Upper Ridge

kyleonnorthridge.jpg

exposurenridge.jpg

exposure2.jpg

Summit Fatigue and Fire

summitfire.jpg

Edited by telemarker

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you Stuart lake approach did you follow the trail all the way to Stuart Lake instead of the Mountie creek XC route. Just curious. Is there a trail around Stuart lake and then an approach up the slopes at the end?

Thanks,

joe

When you Stuart lake approach did you follow the trail all the way to Stuart Lake instead of the Mountie creek XC route. Just curious. Is there a trail around Stuart lake and then an approach up the slopes at the end?

Thanks,

joe

Yes, we followed the trail all the way to the lake, around the hiker's right of the marsh, then up the obvious gulley. Some bush bashing, but not much. I've approached the lower ridge via Teanaway too, and the time for both approaches was almost identical as well as difficulty.

I actually like the Cascadian as a descent route, and find it much easier on my legs and knees than Aasgard, for example. Don't know why people rip on it...I just wouldn't hike up the damn thing.

Hi,

Nice work guys.

I have a question about the descent. Kyle I noticed you were asking about it on a Sherpa TR a few weeks ago. I posted this question there as well:

Could you provide more details re: the descent from the Sherpa-Argonaut Col? I saw it from a distance last weekend. It looked like there was enough dirt to descend w/o axe or crampons. I'd rather leave them at home.

Thanks, Chris

• 1 month later...