Buying Gear Online?

Use our price tool to find the best price on any piece or gear or clothing. Purchases using this tool support cc.com.

Supporting Sponsors

Pro Mountain Sports
UL Down Jacket. 7.3 oz

blank
Who's Online
6 registered (bellows, geosean, keenwesh, 3 invisible), 54 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
27445 Members
50 Forums
100842 Topics
1147566 Posts

Max Online: 627 @ 12/18/06 12:02 AM
Top TR Contributors
ivan 118
KaskadskyjKozak 110
JasonG 103
tvashtarkatena 99
off_the_hook 90
danhelmstadter 88
wayne 77
AlpineK 73
telemarker 71
G-spotter 57
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#699640 - 07/02/07 09:45 AM Big Kangaroo, South Face, Kearney-Thomas
TeleRoss Offline
addicted to cc.com

TRs: 37 Photos: 288
Loc: green room
Well, after climbing this route last summer with Sky I swore that I would never go back, even though the prospect of freeing this line was somewhat appealing...the thought of fighting through the chimneys and offwidths to get to the good steep stuff put me off...until a few months ago when I started to mention to Sky that I was going to head back. He wanted nothing to do with it, so naturally I turned to Eric, a one man offwidth crusher. He was psyched to check it out, so without much ado, off we went.
We arrived at the hairpin under clearing skies, much relieved that the forecast seemed to be wrong concerning the rain.

All set for some offwidth fun...YAY!!

The approach is straightforward, if a bit spicy with the steep snow coming down the east side of Kangaroo Ridge.
I led the first pitch, a rising ramp weaving in and out of loose blocks and large flakes.
Eric got the chimney/offwidth, which he calmly dispatched of without so much as a grunt. Eric also got the wild 8' deep chimney pitch. Lots 'o' fun.

Then I got the long finger crack pitch. Starts with a splitter in a corner, pulls a little bulge, made even more exciting when a foothold broke off...thank god for bomber finger jams, then continues up a steep layback/off fingers crack....stellar. The last crux pitch climbs an undercling out a wide roof to a wild chockstone mantle...funky but super fun.
Eric and I both really enjoyed this route...much better the second time around. The whole thing goes free at 11a
cheers
Ross

Help Support CascadeClimbers

Want to browse more deals? Check out our price comparison and deal finder tool!

#699651 - 07/02/07 10:10 AM Re: Big Kangaroo, South Face, Kearney-Thomas [Re: TeleRoss]
NYC007 Offline
old hand

TRs: 2 Photos: 54
Loc: spokanistan
nice work fella's!

#699752 - 07/02/07 01:59 PM Re: Big Kangaroo, South Face, Kearney-Thomas [Re: NYC007]
skykilo Offline
veteran

TRs: 25 Photos: 8
Loc: SF, NM
Good work, guys. But I'm not jealous.

#699846 - 07/02/07 06:19 PM Re: Big Kangaroo, South Face, Kearney-Thomas [Re: skykilo]
lunger Offline
addicted to cc.com

TRs: 20 Photos: 149
Loc: see atoll
yes you are--you love ow/squeeze chims with spice...and the topper 20' of hand/fistcrack makes that pitch oh so worthwhile. \:\/

Ross is so generous, he let me lead the 2p of off-size fun in exchange for taking the .11 block of 2 pitches up top: a STEEP pitch of stellar and varied fingers and hands; then the wild 'jump on the fumble' move, a strenuous undercling fling to embrace the football chockstone. this was a fun route!

a couple pics here, and a couple more in the gallery:

"intimidating-looking" L-facing chimney etc:

Ross follows p2:

Here's the novel football (too busy belaying this strenuous lead to get an action pic):

cool cannonhole in big kanga:

Moderator:  chucK, mattp, Off_White, snoboy, To_The_Top 
© 2000-10 cascadeclimbers.com · Cookies · Board Rules · Mark all read ·