Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • olyclimber


      We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  

Conditions - (base of) N Face Dragontail

Recommended Posts

I don't feel very motivated about writing this, but I told some guys we met on the way in that I'd write up something... :wave:


Last weekend, Joe and I went to check out the Gerber Sink on Dragontail, but after talking with the two parties coming out and then seeing it in the evening, decided on Triple Couloirs. "Be prepared for long runouts.. good thing you brought pickets..." Yes. We brought pickets..screws...pins...rock gear. Heavy packs!


Approach was pretty uneventful, stashed our road shoes and switched to our boots once the snow got deeper and more consistent, about 2 miles in from the gate. We speculated about when the road would open and what all the Enchantments permits holders would say!


Walked across the frozen lake and camped on the south end in chilly yet calm conditions, good stars out! Lots of snow up there! Unconsolidated snow, seemed more like March than April. Unsupportable crust with 1.5-2'ish of powdery/sugary snow beneath. The direct trek up to the base of the route was ridiculous -- took us three times as long as we expected, post-holing our way up.


We weren't stoked or fit enough to hurry on up the nearly unprotectable slog/wallow in deep snow and also feel good about the sunny forecast/avy conditions for the way down Aasgard. So we turned tail and hiked out. Ah well... it was a good fitness camping trip!

Edited by Alisse

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the update Alisse. I was also thinking about heading up to try the G-S but imagine conditions probably haven't changed much over the course of the week. Of course you never know unless you go.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this