CCW Valdez vs Cilo 30:30/40B

murse11

Looking for a new day to couple night alpine pack, mainly have been looking into the Valdez, Cilo 30:30 or the 40B.

What I like about the Valdez is the price, the no-frills design, and how bomber they reputdely are. However, im concerned that because the suspension system is so minimalistic, that it's going to suck to carry for a 2 day or longer trip.

I like the fact that the Cilos seem to havea bit beefier suspension and thus would carry better/not ravage my hips, but I'm a bit wary of all these damned straps that they have.

A

ANyone care to put in their 0.02?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 cents: I have an old Valdez and found it a bit small for most overnights (with a tent and what have you). For most overnights where I'll bring a rope & rack too, I use a CiloGear 45. I strip it down without the lid, framesheet, and most of the straps and it carries great while climbing. I think that the 30:30 would fill that gap for you pretty well too.

I have a CCW Valdez outfitted with a CCW Chernobyl waistbelt (wider and more padding than the standard 1.5" webbing belt on the Valdez)and it carries 25-30 pound loads pretty well. I absolutely LOVE this pack, it is my go to winter day pack. However I do agree with ColinB that it might be a bit small for overnights unless you really have your kit dialed in. One option would be to go right to the Chernobyl pack which is the same bomber construction as the Valdez with about 3000 cu. in. capacity.

Valdez ... I have a custom that Mr Rackliff did for me several years ago

Thank You Mr Rackliff

I've been able to easily go 3 nights out (spring/summer & fall) with room to spare. I've carried a full AT setup (boots locked into bindings), bivy gear, climbing rope, split the rack with partners and still have the extra room of the extension sleeve available if needed. Properly stuffed & loaded, it carried surprising well, however I think doing this with the standard waist belt would suck and Randy would be the first to tell you.

If you felt that you needed to stiffen it up a bit, a plastic frame sheet can easily be sandwiched inside the bi-fold back pad.