• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   12/08/21

Thanks for visiting Cascadeclimbers.com.   Yep, we are still going!    Just put a new coat of paint on the site. Still the same old community of climbers, skiers, and people who love to get outdoors. Hope you had a great 2021, and wish you the best for 2022 and beyond.  Thanks again for stopping by.
Sign in to follow this  
Major Major

SS Hood at 2'06'16 (and some beta)

What else new is there to do on the south side of Hood, right? Unfortunately I get bored really fast, so I use momentum and tunes to keep my mind busy (and stay warm). After too many shots of Scotch and bubbly on New Year's Even the night before, I was just glad the hangover dissipated as I ascended.

Anyway, after I reached the Hogsback in 1'40, I thought, hmm, let's see if I can get it under 2 hours. Unfortunately the deep, powdery snow made foot travel tedious and slow, and I missed the goal by 6 minutes. But, for the first day of 2015, I lucked out overall on weather and had a good safe climb.

Although we've had fresh snow recently, the snow was difficult to ski on due to a light crust layer on top, with fresh powdery snow below, driving the skis every which way. Expect the snow to consolidate nicer though; the sun was hitting it pretty hard. The Berg is filled in. Also, the Pearly Gates are shaped more like a chimney right now and were super fun to climb: good ice and some natural steps. (hey, it beats old chute / mazama routes.)

Gear notes: skis/skins, crampons, whippet, extra warm clothes for a night over if needed, my freakin' iPod.

PG.jpg

Edited by Major Major

Nice to run into you out there yesterday. Any shots of the chimney in the Gates? You mentioned doing some stemming moves, sounds fun.

Real question is can you break 2 hrs without skis? Maybe you could try sprinting up there in some Luna Sandals? :grin:

luna-equus-worn.jpg

No pics of chimney. My photo skills suck. I totally agree on the pre-2hour without skis. Instead of sandals, however, I'd go with thongs. (Let the pic jokes stream in.)