Intuition liners

erewhon

Last trip to Denali I had the Millet Everest boots, and vowed to never strap into them again...I am interested in using my Arctis Expes with the intuition liners.

Has anyone had much experience with these? Will they pack out too much for a return trip to the Big Mac? Warmer? Does durability suffer?

Any info would be a tremendous help.

Thnx snaf.gif

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

intuition liners do not pack out nearly as much as traditional foam liners; additionally, you can rethermoform them to "unpack" the liner a couple of times without causing the insulation value to suffer.

if you are planning on getting them thermoformed, go to a bootfitter at Marmot; they know all the tricks for supreme comfort from a thermoform liner.

I was also wondering about Intuitions. How much room is needed in the heel (without liners) to give enough toe room? Maybe I should just go ask Marmot.

Not quite sure what you mean??? confused.gif

If your boots shells are the right size, then you will have enough toe room once the liners are fitted.

Shell Sizing:

With no sock or liner step into the empty shell of your existence, I mean boot. Slide you toes right forward, untill they lightly touch the front of the shell. Some people recommend you have a footbed under your foot for this part. Ideally you will have about 2 fingers worth of space behind your heel.

Is this what you meant???

Snoboy has it right on about the shell fit and space needed.

TLG may think Sturtevants has the goods, but I doubt they've got people who have done custom fits with a decades' worth of experience- check with Marmot or the Ballard boot fitter if you want the right fit.

the upshot of the shell sizing thing is that because they are less bulky than a typical liner, your shell needs to be a bit (like a half size) smaller than you would usually buy. this means that if you already own boots, they you may not be able to put intuition liners in them. (well, you can put them in, but they may fit very sloppy). I deliberately bought mine a half size small, but i can't wear them with the regular liners.

on the other hand, because they are closed cell foam, i understand that they will swell somewhat at altitude. i seem to remember that a few years ago, a woman with alveolite liners got frostbite on her feet on denali when they swelled up and cut off circulation to her feet. so you can't fit them super-sensitive-M10 heel hooking tight, either.

anyway, they are great, very warm and incredibly light. i got mine fit at marmot, they did a great job, but remember that wherever you go, there's probably only one person in the shop who is really good at fitting, so you should call and make an appointment instead of just showing up. final note, if the place you are buying is mostly a ski shop, they may only have the "ski" liners, which will stick up about 6 inches above your plastic boot shell. i ended up with these, because marmot was out of the climbing liners, but it wasn't a big deal to cut them down by hand and sew the top up to make a nice clean edge. PM me if you want more details about this.