[TR] Mt Adams - South Climb!! 6/16/2013

Dchromey

Trip: Mt Adams - South Climb!!

Date: 6/16/2013

Trip Report:

SDC11118.JPG

School's out and that means it is climbing season!! Started off my summer right with a summit of Mt Adams. Not really crowded, always good to see fellow climbers. Schools out and that means it is time to climb!!! Me and a buddy took a good long weekend and went down to mt adams. Good weather was upon us most of the time! My friends pack was about 40 pounds. Mine was about 35 pounds. The winter route was still so we climbed up to suksdorf ridge. It was a long 6 hour hike up to lunch counter. We left around 5 in the morning and touched the summit around 5. A 4 hour climb with 3000 feet of elevation gain. Summit held 30-40 mph gusts. You could see Rainier, Helens, Hood, Jefferson, Three sisters. We threaded the needle in the weather window. After we descended, clouds covered the summit.

All in all a good, hard climb. It is nice to get Adams under my belt!!! Dont forget sunscreen!!!

SDC11130.JPG

South trail 183 smells like burnt wood

SDC11134.JPG

Mt St Helens

SDC11139.JPG

break on top of south butte, follow the boot path up to lunch counter

SDC11143.JPG

looks like she is having some stomach problems!

SDC11147.JPG

South Climb up ahead! 2 and a half hours going up. maybe 10 minutes coming down. Glissade! it will save your legs

SDC11152.JPG

Alpine start at 5 in the morning

SDC11155.JPG

Getting a bit steep!

SDC11160.JPG

Summit Plateau between pikers peak (11,700) and the true summit (12,280)

SDC11166.JPG

Summit!!!! with 30-40 mph gusts

SDC11161.JPG

Mt Rainier!

Gear Notes:

Ice axe, crampons, sunscreen and water!!! no running water, boil snow for water

Approach Notes:

A vehicle with high clearance. The fire last year destroyed the road so there are huge water bars that protect the road. Long gravel drive, hope you dont mind dust and dirt. Limited parking at the trailhead

$15-weekend

$10-weekday

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
What other mtns are you interested in climbing?

Supposed to make a run up Rainier in a few weeks with a friend. Hopefully, the DC will still be in.

Definitely Baker and other N. Cascades peaks, the Olympics, and the peaks down around Bend.

I'd like to tackle some bigger objectives in the coming years, but it all comes down to time and $.