Wuhoo Adventure Race

Pencil_Pusher

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you some woo-hoo! I like the kind of action you can get out of these adventure races and I've done a few myself. I'm not as keen on them anymore for a couple of reasons:

a) some of these races charge HUGE fees...up to $250 for a team of three, for a 1 DAY EVENT! The organizers set these things up to make a bunch of money and then wait for the chest-thumping "heroes" to beat down their door to pay them for the honor. Some of them are in "series" so you can drop your large wad of cash to enter them all.

b) a lot of these races feature "special challenges"; "challenges" that would make the average climber yawn such as rapelling (wuhoo!), jumaring (wuhoo!) and sliding across a tight line over a ravine (double wuhoo!) There was one race I found very attractive but decided not to enter. It was televised and when I watched the thing, it was ridiculous! One of their "special challenges" was to get your team over some slanted pieces of plywood covered with sheets of plastic and crisco. (What's the opposite of woohu? Oy-hu?) I was embarrassed for the participants and relieved that I hadn't spent my $$$.

Haven't said that, there is a group in Oregon that puts on some really fun adventure races that are low-budget and really fun, and will kick your butt (and I have some large scars to prove it.) They're called the "Red Lizard" and I particularly recommend their summer "scrambles". Check them out:

RED LIZARD

So, go and "wuhoo" if you like....you might even see me there but I doubt it. If I want to crawl through mud and scale sheets of slippery plywood, I can do that in my backyard. On the other hand, it is fun to compete once in a while but at the same time, you can invent your own challenges and do them on your own or with your pals. Like, whatever!

- Dwayner bigdrink.gif