Brooks Range Propel tent?

jakedouglas

This tent is advertised to setup with trekking poles and a 300cm probe. Has anyone actually used it this way? It weighs 1lbs 9oz if you do that instead of carrying the tent poles. This sounds attractive, but how does it work out in practice? I've only found a few reviews so far that seemed inconclusive. Would like to hear from anyone with personal experience using this tent.

http://brooks-range.com/Propel-Tent.html

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i demo'd the "rocket tent" which is the exact same tent but made with cuben fabric. I'm assuming this tent offers more ventilation than the cuben one I used which was a drippy sweaty mess.

There are a few problems with the tent design. My big complaint is there is no netting in the enterance. If you want to door open to vent you're leaving yourself open to bug attack (even for skiing this can be an issue in the spring), and if it's snowing mesh can stop the flakes from getting in. You can add your own if you're crafty, but still, i think it's a fatal flaw.

The other problems are if you're using your poles/probe, you need to dissamble the tent to tour. Not an issue if you are on the move. Also, it requires several point to be staked out, further eatting into your kit for the day, or requiring a perfect spot on turf, or other anhors in snow.

I think the firstlight is worth an extra pound in winter for set-up ease and room (an odd statement), and for summer I have never fouund anything to beat the Betalight tarp in terms of weight or room, and it's great in winter for a one night stay (or more with a groundcloth).

I had the Rocket tent which (as has been noted) is the Propel tent made with a Cuben laminated fabric. There were some delamination problems with that fabric so I wrote to Brooks Range and they agreed to exchange it for an Invasion tent. Kudos to them for excellent customer service.

I haven't had a chance to use the Invasion yet but I have set it up. I think the design resolves some of the issues noted above (mesh door and dedicated tent poles) and it is super quick to set up. It weighs in at a little less than 3.5 pounds and is very spacious for 2 palatial for 1. It has a number of vents placed high and low but I can't comment on condensation issues (or lack thereof) yet.