Marathon recovery and climbing

Rickpatbrown

To add a bit, I´ve found that climbing is a good way to actively rest after training for marathons or long marathon training days. As your body adapts to your training, you´ll find you´ll be able to do more in turns of training volume with running as well as climbing. Many times I´ll do a morning of running, followed by lunch then an afternoon of sport climbing. It´s funny though because my climbing friends don´t get running and my running friends don´t get climbing, but I´m lucky to have two groups of friends that hammer me with solid motivation.

With running be careful with the loss of climbing muscle. This year I´m training for an an alpine ultramarathon thats going to be around 74k with 6,500 meters of positive elevation gain and 6.500 meter of elevation loss. I´ll post of TR when I finish the race and with some of the race prep. My problem is with the high training volume and the hours logged running in the mountains, I´ve lost a lot of muscle and weight. On the other hand I´m lighter and that compensates for the lack of strength.

With a little bit of planning, you can do both. Everyone has told me I can´t, but so far it hash´t been a problem. I´ve been climbing for a long time and running for a while as well. Times are just another may of a chest beating for runners as grades are for climbers. Just get out and have fun, that what it´s all about anyways!

Thanks! This sounds right on the money. I am finding that the more I do this, the more appears possible. With people running 135miles through Death Valley in 130F degree heat and others racing 100 miles in the Sierras with 18,090 feet elevation gain, we can be assured that our bodies are capable of amazing things. I'm gonna steer very far from those extreme, though. You sound like you're on your way. 74K and 6,500M is monstrous! I hope to catch that report. Good luck with the training.

I can't compare the marathon race to the marathon climbing adventures that some have accomplished. My little vacation to Maine was nothing like the marathon race expenditure. It was more like a good solid week of training. Every race distance is different and every climb is different.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic