• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Dave7

[TR] Adirondacks - Various 12/20/2012

Trip: Adirondacks - Various

Date: 12/20/2012

Trip Report:

Who knew New York had a vast amount of great ice to climb throughout the winter months. After spending about a year living in the Georgia (where alpine climbing is merely a dream) I was happy and excited to move up north where I could get back on some ice.

The Adirondacks are a special place, not because the mountains are big, covered in glaciers, nor are they written about very often. The daks are a very mellow place with a great community of climbers who treasure their own little secret climbing paradise. I moved up here in August and was lucky enough to get a couple long trad routes under my belt before winter settled in. The fall colors are sublime and totally got me psyched for ice.

I figured I would share some photos from a few of my trips in the daks this winter. What a great place to climb, learn, and "train for climbing!

Salmon River Falls - A lovely, relatively unknown amphitheater, for ice climbing. A lot of WI4-5 stuff here. Makes me realize how bad of an ice climber I really am.

734967_792825020260_351302586_n.jpg

Pitchoff North - Great for early, mid, and late season ice. This particular shot is following Weeping Winds, a 3 pitch WI3+ with a great view.

6949_626936392981_126802033_n.jpg

Leading up the second pitch of the Cascade

734407_630710664311_1815522829_n.jpg

The plus side of daks: Climbing through the occasional "tree" bands haha

58430_792825105090_1817725321_n.jpg

Looking over to cascade pass from the top of Pitchoff Right

59673_624481163281_1564472869_n.jpg

Early season mixed action

261451_624482560481_448318727_n.jpg

Base of the cascade, ready to go up to learn that ice is usually steeper than it looks from the ground.

320573_768379194890_508071955_n.jpg

Gear Notes:

Standard ice stuff, plenty of slings for trees.

Approach Notes:

Anything from roadside ice crags to 5-6 mile bushwacks.

I knew! I went to college in Plattsburgh and Syracuse, and learned to ice climb at those venues you just posted about. Definitely a fun place!

Daks are the bomb. I had plenty of solo trips out there in every season exploring the high peaks region. Solitude, great climbing, and hiking.

Thanks for sharing.

I have been meaning to get up there all season, but I seem to keep heading up to NH. Thanks for the TR, nothing like a fun looking trip to inspire me to turn my car the other direction :brew:

Glad ya'll enjoyed the pictures! Matt- shoot me a PM if you are in need of a belay out here in the Daks.