• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
satori

Dynamic Rope Shelf Life

I just received a rope I had purchased from a PNW retailer. The BW 9.4 DD 70m rope was manufactured in Dec. 2007. I have never seen a rope on the shelf in any shop that is 5 years old. I have never purchased a rope that was more than 2 years old. I am a little preturbed and I am considering sending it back. I know Sterling Ropes give a 10 year shelf life for their products. Any thoughts?

I'm sure the rope is fine but its understandable that you are questioning the age of the rope. I'd suggest just contacting Bluewater directly if you have any questions regarding the safety and shelf life of one their ropes. They will have the definitive answers.

Hopefully you at least got the rope on sale.

To answer my own question...I found this on the bottom of the rope inspection log...

Attention : These are average lifetimes in use, a rope could be destroyed during its first use. Proper storage between uses is

essential. The lifetime of the rope in use must never exceed 10 years. The total maximum lifetime (storage before use + lifetime

in use) is thus limited to 13 years.

+1 for MountainGear.com. I just got off the phone with their CS dept. I spoke to someone who actually climbs and they were more than happy to exchange the rope for me. I will be buying from them again.