Mt. Adams - Sat Oct 27, Partner needed

ulvetano

OK, so I might get yelled at again, but how are the conditions for climbing Adams this weekend? Any better than the routes on Hood?

I fly into Portland tonight from Boulder, work tomorrow and then would like to climb something Sat. Any solid partners interested in joining? I will bring all of my standard mountaineering gear and can trim down if needed.

thx, Chuck

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunately the entire south side of adams has been closed for a month and a half or so. There was a large forest fire that burned the south climb trailhead and much of the forest along either side of the road up to it.

I know that some access was lifted last week on the north side but at this point accessing that is going to be difficult let alone route selection and stuff.

weather doesn't look great (today is actually nice..) so chances are you will be in a cloud or whiteout. If you don't get any partners you could consider going up st. helens. Like i said in a previous thread this is probably the most sketch time for climbing as there is relatively little snowpack, but enough to mask some hazards. additionally as we roll into november this is the period we often get very strong storms. hope you enjoy being out here -- consider something else the PacNW has to offer if none of the volcano climbing seems to be panning out.

I contacted the Mt Adams ranger station last week regarding winter climbing of Admas, and there is a southern route that is open. The closed/fire damage area does include the Cold Springs Campground. But there is a route east of Cold Springs that runs parallel to the reservation and lava bed. Here is what I received from the ranger on Oct 24th.

The south side of Mount Adams will no doubt be closed for the entire winter and even into spring. This area has not been made safe for entry, and access to do has snow . However the winter climbing route is open from the East side of the Aiken Lava bed off the 150 road. Please call our front desk at 509-395-3400 M-F 0800 – 1630 for more information.