Mid Novermber Portland Area Options

hvydrt

Have to go to a wedding at Timberline Lodge in mid November. Should have 1 full day free to climb something. Hood is the obvious choice, but that time of year conditions could be poor. I am bringing my gear and will see how the weather and conditions go but looking for suggestions for that time of year.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to go to a wedding at Timberline Lodge in mid November. Should have 1 full day free to climb something. Hood is the obvious choice, but that time of year conditions could be poor. I am bringing my gear and will see how the weather and conditions go but looking for suggestions for that time of year.

Hood might be the bomb! But it might suck too, too far out to tell. There will be 2 brand new Rock Climbing areas on Hood in the brand new NW Oregon guidebook I believe. All real close to Timberline. That makes a total of 3 with in spitting distance. Rhododendron, Hunchback and Pete's Pile. Unfortunately, they are all higher up, and November can be cold and/or snowy for them as well. If it was me and the weather on the Mt looked any kind of marginal, I'd spend the am skiing, then drive down to lower elevations. Beacon in particular gets full on sun and can be very pleasant in November. If the weather is good you should be able to get a partner. The Hood River guys have some dryer spots they go to if the weather is wet, (nothing like Beacon) maybe they can chime in. Rock Creek is dryer than Beacon, but is much smaller. Ozone and Farside in the gorge tend to being nice fall cragging as well.

The new book: http://www.portlandrockclimbs.com/portland-rock-climbs

I have one on order and don't know specifically what is in it, other than rumors. I can check back in when it shows up.