[TR] Alpental Valley - East Chair Basin, Bryant Couloir 4/6/2012

chris

Trip: Alpental Valley - East Chair Basin, Bryant Couloir

Date: 4/6/2012

Trip Report:

After yesterday's shut-down, I emailed Paul and Amir and reminded them, "bring your ski crampons." The climb up the Phantom had been bullet proof crust. I had a tour planned, but really didn't think I could make it happen in the condition we saw on Thursday.

What a difference a day makes.

It was snowing lightly in the parking lot, dusting the ground. At Source Lake, there was 2cm. But when we finally stopped climbing at 5450' in Chair Peak's East Basin, there was 20cm! It made for fantastic skiing back to Source Lake. From there, we headed up towards Pineapple Pass, turned right to climb over Bryant Shoulder to Bryant Col, but stopped at the final boot-pack. We waited about 30 minutes for the flat light scatter and definition to return, then skied down the gut of Bryant Couloir, and on out to the parking lot.

3700' gained in climbed and skied in a casual 7:30 hours. At the parking lot our cars were bare - beers down at the lodge before the drive back to town. Photos of the tour are on my blog.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days