Mt. Shasta May 23rd - 28th avalanche gulch

Sig Olsen

I am looking for someone to climb with. No snow/ice experience. In shape and will be primed for the summit. Will have all proper equipment and can share MH ev2 tent. Will be flying in from Florida. Summitted Longs Peak via keyhole route last july. I can rent a car and meet you at the park. Would much rather do this with someone than by myself.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking Helen Lake. I struggle with the altitude so there is no way I can do the entire 7300 ft in one day. I snore and fart so it looks like you would need to bring your own tent. It never bothers me and I usually sleep alone, but didnt know how many people had a 4 season tent. I am using it as a training mountain for rainier next year. Hopefully.

Just a word...

Avalance Gulch is a pretty casual route and has hordes of folks going up and down it on a good weather weekend day.

For most people its a long day trip. Crampons and ice axe recommended.

You probably dont have to show up with a partner if you have very good weather (which, for Northern Cali, shouldnt be too much an issue compared to - say - Mt Rainier), and understand where the route goes.

Worst comes to worst you start up at 3am like everyone else and if you are in decent shape will likely find a pace that is similar to lots of folks

Lastly, dont let the mindset "I came all the way from Florida, I HAVE TO SUMMIT AT ALL COSTS!" set in....you're going to be at very high altitudes and stupid thinking will just get you in trouble. I would set a reasonable turn-around time and stick to it.

(full disclosure: I soloed the route in 1994 with my several-months-old Malamute puppy)

Edited by Alex