[TR] Alpental Ice Cragging - Unknown Flow 1/16/2012

Flap-master-Flex

Trip: Alpental Ice Cragging - Unknown Flow

Date: 1/16/2012

Trip Report:

Hey guys,

My buddy Galloway and I had a fun time out top roping some ice in the Alpental area on Saturday 1/14/12...Thought I would share. I'm not sure what the name of the flow is, but it can be found leaving the upper Alpental parking lot approx 30 minutes approach in towards Source Lake. You will see it on the left side of the trail around a corner in a creek drainage area...

Here are the lines that we climbed and saw others get on during the day:

Lines.jpg

The main flow on the left (green & yellow lines) was pretty wet and a bit brittle. We didn't feel like we could safely lead it so we dropped a top rope down. Some delicate climbing was done here making lots of hooks in little nooks and crannies..

The little mixed route to the right (orange) was actually really fun, but some of the ice up top was a little hollow/ detached from the rock.

we saw a few guys lapping the red line on the far left and they said the ice was great. We did see some gnarly spin drift coming down that chute though.

Here are some more pics from the trip...

Looking up at the base of the main flow

DSC00814.jpg

Myself climbing the main flow..

DSC00769.jpg

Galloway cruising on up!

DSC00796.jpg

Start of the little mixed line on the right...

DSC00700.jpg

Right side fun

DSC00715.jpg

Overall it was a very fun day and our first true taste of Alpental Ice climbing. We took a trip up to check out the North Face of Chair a couple days before this..maybe I will add a TR for that as well if you guys enjoy this. Hopefully I didnt spam too many photos. Oh well, 1 more for good measure hahaha..

Tilt!!!

DSC00734.jpg

Go get some guys! Hope to see you out there

Gear Notes:

Normal Ice Rack & Approach Gear

Approach Notes:

Simple approach.. Follow the trail leading away from the upper parking lot at Alpental. Stay left at the fork where a wide trail heads down right to the creek. Once you hit a clearing with rock face on the left continue to follow the ski trail and look left when you come around a corner and up hill. Snowshoes would be nice if there is lots of fresh snow. Crampons are welcome when the ski/snowboard trails are hard and icy. Check the avy conditions before heading up there, the slope to get above the climb and top rope is pretty prone to slides. We have seen a couple there this season.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic