Petzl Lynx Crampon

Pro Mountain Sports

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This crampon looks sweet. It appears to have all the advantages of the M10 and Dart with lighter weight and universal boot compatibility. All of these features are attractive.

But I don't know if it's a game changer. I see new gear like this and think "Wow, that's neat," but then I remember pictures of Barry Blanchard, Jeff Lowe, Conrad Anker and Alex Lowe from the early nineties climbing M8-WI5 routes in full Gore-Tex suits and plastic boots, using Footfangs and straight-shafted tools. That gear seems obsolete today, but climbers were still getting up challenging routes with it. New products like the Lynx are certainly an improvement over what came before, but they are evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

In ten years I'm going to be that guy at Marble Canyon who everyone looks at and whispers to their partner "Hey, check that dude out, he's rocking the museum gear. Are those M10s and Quarks? Those were sweet back in the day."

In ten years I'm going to be that guy at Marble Canyon who everyone looks at and whispers to their partner "Hey, check that dude out, he's rocking the museum gear. Are those M10s and Quarks? Those were sweet back in the day."

There are lots of these men today. I am getting up stuff (not hard stuff) with old grivel cookie cutter crampons and leashes on 1st generation quarks. You should see what choada boy climbs with. Last time I saw alan kearney, he had some old stuff on his feet too.

you will be in good company with your "ancient" tools.