Heavy Duty Sleeping Pad

marienbad

Hi. I’m a new hitchhiker from Davis, CA and I have a problem: I need my beauty sleep.

I’m hitchhiking across the country this summer, and while I plan to use Couchsurfing.com as much as possible, I want to have a pad for camping as a backup. Since sleeping comfort is pretty much my top priority, I’m willing to spend up to $300 on a good pad, particularly if it can stand up to abuse all summer. I’m definitely willing to sacrifice weight on the pad if it’s comfortable.

I’m 5’9” and 160lbs. What are some of the most comfortable and durable sleeping pad models out there if weight isn’t a big issue? I am going to be hauling it by pack though, so it cannot be too huge!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. They work great until they don't. Down mat needs to be inflated with a clever pump that is part of the stuff sack: breathing into it is problematic as it introduces moisture into the down.

Back in ye goode olde guiding daze one of my fellow guides loved his down mat and raved about it. Then on day 1 of a 6-day glacier course the pad deflated and he couldn't find the leak. He was bummed.

Pros: light, compact, warm

Cons: a complex design