Kayland HyperTractions

ChrisCNY

I am contemplating a purchase of either the Kayland M11+ or the HyperTraction mountaineering boots for winter use. I don't intend on doing any glacier / volcanic work in them in the near future, but need a warm, well built workhorse for winter summits in the Adirondack High Peaks.

I own and use a pair of Kaylands for my 3 season use and love them. I would like to stay with Kayland, and am thinking more towards the HyperTractions mainly due to the extra PrimaLoft insulation.

I am a bit concerned with the rigidity of the Hyper's because I will need to be able to put miles of approach with snowshoes and or crampons, but might want the rigidity later when crampons are warranted.

Any suggestions or info would be great! I am not afforded the opportunity to try them on, so that's why I ask.

-Chris

Edited by ChrisCNY

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pair of the M11+'s and think they're a great boot. Very warm, way warmer than the Trango Extreme Evo's I've used in the Northeast for years. They have a fair bit of flex in the sole - a little more than the trangos, and are pretty comfortable to walk in, but plenty rigid for frontpointing.They climb well, reasonably light for their warmth, pretty supportive. Really nice footbeds.

The little gaiter works pretty well. Sadly they are a little wide in the forefoot for me and too high volume, so I'm going to get rid of them (I didn't try them on before buying them either), but if you're already familier with Kayland, then you'll already know how they'll fit.

Great boots, I'm sure you'll be pleased with them.

I've used both and if Kayland fits your foot well, either would be great. I currently climb in the Hyper Tractions and would not hesitate to suggest them for the conditions you mentioned. They are definitely a bit warmer and while slightly stiffer, not uncomfortable at all for approaches. They are a good deal at $400 too.