• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
fraidahites

Hotlum/Bolam beta needed on Shasta

Weather and snow conditions permitting, I am planning a trip to the NS of Shasta at the end of May. I’m looking for any info on camp locations, water, route options, etc. Can’t seem to find much regarding this route (which is why we are choosing it-AG on SS was a carnival 3 years ago). Any info would be appreciated.

Edited by fraidahites

You should be able to find plenty of info on the N/E side routes from Summitpost. You might need to piece it together from more than one route page, but it's all there. As for conditions check the climbing advisory on shastaavalanche.org.

There is good camping from about 10000 to the top of a ridge at about 10600. Cant remember if there was water to filter or if we melted snow. Great climb/ perfect time of year.

Thanks 96 and Bill. We got some good info from the Ranger station as swell as your links. The only unanswered questions remaining are whether the road will be open to the TH, and whether to bring snowshoes or skis. It doesn't appear we will have running water up high unless we get some warmer weather. PUMPED!!

Hopefully no crowds either.

Edited by fraidahites

Given the snowpack, I personally would want skis...especially if you can't drive all the way to the TH. Enjoy

It's a great route. I did it last July.. I believe we started at the Northgate trailhead at 7k. Great weather, great conditions, awesome climb.

Not sure what this May will look like but good luck! The Bolam gully up to the Shark's tooth gets the heart going!!

I would prefer skis as well. My concern though is the descent from HC to the TH with weary legs and heavy packs. I tend to forget how to ski in this condition( or at least my legs do). :eek: