Camping at smith?

Frankazoid

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they still charging $5 at grasslands? I know last year we showed up and didn't pay for 2 nights and didn't get hassled. The car was only there at night though while we were sleeping. I know some people just camp on the other side of the fence to avoid the fee

Grasslands for $5. For all the stink people make about the rate increase (from zero to $5) I feel like $5 is a fair price and the campground is noticeably cleaner. Split between a car load of dirty climbers and it comes out to be what, $1.25 per person?

Yes, you can drive outside the fence and camp for free, however lots of people have been doing this lately and it damages the ground cover. Some of areas outside the fence are just big mud pits now from people driving all over. Please keep this in mind. Have fun!

-Nate

$5/day/person at the regular Smith Rocks bivy area and it comes with a hot shower and a clean bathroom, stumbling distance to the climbing, and the campground is generally quiet at night. Only downside is no campfires. It's supposed to $5/day for a day use parking permit anyway and if you're at the bivy area that's covered.

I've always spent more on beer there than camping anyway.

Sometimes I felt like I was the only person I knew who didn't give a shit about having a camp fire and preferred the bivy area (with its actual bathroom and running water, in addition to being right there when you wake up) to the grasslands.