first aid and climb training near bellingham?

PeakBeggar

Hello CC forum!

I am looking for advice on schooling for my wilderness adventures. After this last summer where i found myself in situations that were beyond my skill level with people that i did not truly believe were skilled enough to guide the group I know its necessary for me to learn the skills myself. ideally i would like to take a WILFER course and an avi/galcier-course this winter. And not in any particular order, i'd like to begin the task of learning the skills of lead climbing on traditional routes.

Soo.. the questions are (and keep in mind that I am a college student in b'ham for another year...);

What mountaineering/climbing educational resources have worked for you and what programs would you recommend? Examples that come to mind are through the American Alpine institute or the Seattle mountaineers (b'ham chapter i'm thinking).

How did you learn the art of lead climbing and traditional protection? Would you recommend paying for lessons in order to "learn it right?"

Thanks CC,

charlie

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was involved with the Bellingham Mountaineers for several years as a student, then an instructor. It was an excellent experience, and I met great friends and got a solid foundation for climbing. Instructors range from professional guides to people who took the class last year and are coming back to review (the less-experienced instructors are placed in helping roles). I found it to be a good survey of everything from avy to 1st aid to lead climbing, and during my first summer of climbing I was able to do a lot of great peaks. Now I'm climbing much harder, and although I've streamlined some of what I do, I have kept the basic foundation that I learned there. I'm no longer involved with the mountaineers but am thankful for the foundation I got.

Opinions on the Mountaineers vary on this message board, but Bellingham was excellent and usually defies the negative stereotypes of Mountaineers. The class is small, they are very thorough to make sure that students are safe and competent, they teach critical thinking skills and not just 'by the book' rote, and carefully screen potential students before letting them start the course. I'd recommend checking it out! You do have to make it to every lecture and field trip, and be ready to buy some gear. It's a commitment and it will take over your schedule, but well worth it. You'll probably meet great people, too!

I've also heard wonderful things about AAI, but the prices were beyond me, plus the continuity of the Bham mountaineers course made for a great community, many of whom are still my friends even though I've moved to Seattle.

Application for the 2011 class closes Nov 30, better get on it!.

http://www.bellinghammountaineers.org/courses.shtml

There are pros and cons to the different options. AAI probably would give you the highest quality of instruction, but it doesn't introduce you to very many other climbers and it definitely costs a lot. My own experience with the Kitsap and Seattle branches of the mountaineers was very mixed, I met some excellent instructors and climbers and some that were well worth avoiding. I've heard nothing but good reports about the Bellingham branch however. What clubs like the mountaineers do that is very helpful is introduce you to quite a few people and provide you with people to climb with. Instruction is important, but practice is just as important.

Another option would be the course taught by the Skagit Alpine Club. I've heard good reports about it as well.

Be sure to do your own research in the learning process as well. Don't just read one book and take it as the right way to do everything.

Get decent instruction in the basics, than find some other beginners and spend lots of time practising those basics. Don't rush to progress to fast, make sure you master things as you go along. The learning process is fun, make the most of it.

About leading trad: lessons would probably be nice if you can afford them. Many fatal accidents happen from gear pulling, and that is largely avoidable. Finding some partners who are highly competent with gear and following them is of great importance. Someone could probably spend a day showing you how everything works and such, but it takes a greater breadth of experience to really be good at that particular art. There is a lot of shoddy trad taking place, and a lot of risks taken in the learning process. I started leading trad without enough instruction and I survived, but in retrospect it was a dumb thing to do. You won't necessarily have to hire a guide to learn that stuff, but I would say you need to climb with some experts.