China Points The Way!

prole

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Zizek said, “The worst slave owners were those who were kind to their slaves.”* Is this true? Have we been lulled into complacency and are in potential danger of becoming obsolete?**Is it true that the only real underlying conflict is that of class warfare and everything else is just distraction?

“There’s class warfare, all right,” Mr. Buffett said, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

We’re accustomed to seeing clusters of affluent gated communites symbolized as islands in the sun but this development, what Zizek might refer to as “new apartheids”, might evoke similar imagery of islands but different in resembling Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn’s gulag archipelago.

Shouldn’t this imagery resonate with our collective cultural history to bring up something as a moral compass that allows us to recognize the inherent inhumanity of where we’re going? Or, is this development actually more humane?

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness.... No man is an island, entire of itself ...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

--John Donne, Devotions upon emergent occasions and seuerall steps in my sicknes - Meditation XVII , 1624

Does our experiment in ordered liberty have a future?

[video:youtube]v=hpAMbpQ8J7g

** Are the American people obsolete?