Re-entering climbing after work/kids

Kansas

I'm looking to connect to climb (trad, sport, alpine, ski mountaineering, whatever) after not climbing almost at all since my daughter was born. She just turned 5 and had her first top-rope at exit 38. After her repeated requests to climb, I belayed her and realized how much I was dying to get back out. I'm in Redmond and have the typical weekends off. Maybe some slings need to be replaced but I've got my own rack and gear and I've climbed most of the local areas and a handful of alpine routes from Slesse to Stewart. I'd like to partner up for both myself and if anyone has young kids that would be interested in getting out as a sort of family enterprise as well. And yes, I've lurked and lived vicariously through this site for years.

Tony

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for you! If you make it out to the West end of the Gorge, us locals can give you the tour at Beacon.

I was out of climbing for a decade after getting hitched. Got back into it 06 and now really enjoy my time out so much more than when I was young and free. Hoping my kids will want to get out soon too.... They are 7 and 5 (both girls), although I think my youngest is the one that will end up liking climbing. Send me a PM if you are headed this way.

I am in the exact situation as you including the vicarious lurking. My son is 3 now. I previously posted in the patners section (reposted below). I am in Vancouver, BC - perfect for Squamish trips. Also up to family camping/climbing in 11worth, Smith etc.

I am looking to get out cragging and alpine climbing. Comfortable leading 5.9, will lead up to 5.10 on a good day or with the occassional hang dog/gear pull. I have over 10 years experience in climbing, backpacking and mountaineering. Enjoyed climbing in Red Rocks, J-Tree, Bugaboos, Rockies, BC/Washington and I am in decent shape, have gear, ropes, car etc. Lots of stuff I want to do:

Angel Crest (Squamish)

Bugaboo Spire

Prusick Peak

Stuart

Slesse

Brewers Buttress (Banff)

among others, and open to suggestions.

Good attitude - motivated, goal oriented, but won't sulk all the way home if things don't go as planned. Enjoy a cold post climb beer, but not naive enough to leave it in the creek

Would be good to start with some cragging (11worth or Squamish) or some easy alpine (Yak?)to see how we are together and go from there.

PS You are over your PM limit so I wasn't able to send you one

I've managed to maintain some climbing since having my daughter (now 4) was born, but always love to meet new partners -- especially other Dads who seem to have similar competing interests back home for quick alpine trips. I've also, just this year tried to start up an annual (or more) camping trip with other families with similar interests (i.e. we like to camp, we have kids, and the Dads and some Moms like to climb). My daughter has been on top rope a few times, but is taking to it sloooowly.

I've got another girl on the way in a few months too.

I live in Seattle, trad and alpine climb, ice climb, and ski the back-country when I can.

Assuming you are getting some other PMs, it'd be awesome to compile a short list-serve of folks. Another observation is that Dads have a tougher time getting out so having a robust list of possible partners is beneficial. Let me know -- robstephenson@yahoo.com

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know what's up with my PM box but I'll PM ya'll.

It would make a lot of sense to have a full list of potential dad type partners since I can't be as spontaneous as I used to be.

I look forward to getting something set up.

Tony