[TR] Eldorado Peak - Standard Route 6/26/2010

RaisedByPikas

Trip: Eldorado Peak - Standard Route

Date: 6/26/2010

Trip Report:

My wife and I made the trip up Eldorado on Saturday and Sunday. The knife edge ridge has cornices on it for the last 50-100 ft. The bootpack was solid up to the cornices where it looked like only one or two people had continued on. There wasn't much of a point to traverse 50ft over to the summit just to have to stay 15ft from the edge so we turned around at the cornices.

A ranger checked for our permits at 7500 ft.

I will figure out how to post pics when I get home.

Gear Notes:

Glacier Travel Gear.

Approach Notes:

Trail is snow free until the very end of the boulder fields. The gulley to descend to the glacier is mostly snow filled except for a short section to cross a moat. We ascended to our campsite at 7500ft unroped due no visible crevasses on the route. 2 small crevasses starting to open up on the ridge up to the summit.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friends climbed it last weekend... it went, but it was pretty gnarly with snow and ice making things difficult. I have another group of friends who climbed the East Ridge, which was apparently nice and dry and clean, but had an accident on the way down the WR and had a bit of an epic.

Seems like it'll be in great shape pretty soon though.