New to oregon

thejeep

can any one point me in the right direction as to where this tennessean can find some ice to climb arround on? Any water ice left this time of year? We just moved to welches (mt hood) and i work 1 week on, one off, so I have some time if a drive or trek in were involved.

thanks in advance

peyton

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to say mate but there is very little ice in this state.

Water ice comes and goes as fast as the weather changes here. Some alpine ice can be found, but for the most part you should just substitute "alpine ice" for "water ice" in my second sentence.

But if you've got the time I'd have a look up at Hood on your days off and if its clear go for a quick jaunt and see what's in.

Drive to Banff/Canmore. Its an hour more than Bozeman and well worth that hour.

Locally, there's ice off of Cooper Spur but its a long walk for something that is probably buried by new snow now. The north face gullies are probably more snow than ice now, even when it is ice, the ice isn't harder than 3/3+. If mixed is your game, there's plenty of climbing on Illumination Rock but its all trad protected. The rime on I-Rock should survive at least until the end of this month.

I hear rumors of ice out in NE Oregon but there's no official guide to the area or any such. Good luck out there!