Mt. Shasta April 17-18(?)

DogsBestFriend

Hi, I'm looking for a climbing partner to go up Mount Shasta April 15-16.

I'll be heading down there on my way to Fort Bragg and then to San Dimas for the week and was hoping to get a shot at climbing this one. Not much of a fan of climbing solo, so if you guys/gals hear of someone who's interested on those dates, let me know!

Thanks a lot!

[edit]

I have changed my route to Green Butte if conditions allow...it's going to be tentative for now until the window closes in on the date of the climb.

I'm deciding whether or not to change my dates to the weekend April 17-18...to maybe open up a better window of allowing avy conditions to settle and to hopefully tempt in some partners...seems mid-week doesn't work for most people...I'm fairly flexible on my schedule..

Edited by DogsBestFriend

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are doing the Gulch in April chances are you won't be alone so I wouldn't let that stop you.

Green Butte wouldn't be all that bad solo either, but with fewer people around.

Casaval has a nice bench at around 9000' (if I remember correctly) to set a camp. Not much above that until you get to the area just below the summit. There can be some pretty exposed spots higher on the ridge that can be intimidating.

They say you should only do the ridges with ample snow cover due to kicking rocks down onto climbers in the Gulch.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the beta, ClimbingCoastie

When doing Green Butte, I've been doing some research, it looks as if I would have to stay on the easterly side of the ridge when nearing Thumb Rock...but when going towards Thumb Rock, which side is advisable, to the left or right of the rock? It seems as if this part of the ridge is the most exposed section...beta on this area would be greatly appreciated!

Topher, thanks for the advice. I did post on SP, working good so far.

Some quick things about me: My name is Chris. I'm relatively new to mountaineering with a fairly young climbing resume. I have been rock climbing for 4 years now. Limited in the technical ice area, but have ice climbed with a friend a couple times. Have climbed a handful of peaks here in the WA Cascades and some volcanoes, including Adams and Glacier Peak.

First off, I consider safety to be the most important factor in anything I intend to do, not just on the mountain. Second, I like to enjoy my climbs, but I am goal oriented, I set way points and deadlines to make destinations, as long as it's safe to do so. Third, I'm a relatively strong hiker and I wake up really early!