First Ernie Kent is fired, now this?

LostCamKenny

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Bellotti is not involved. Last Friday, he announced that he will be resigning on April 5 to take a broadcasting job with ESPN, leaving much unfinished business at Oregon but taking with him $2.3 million.

Bellotti will get $600,000 by May 1, then monthly payments of $25,000 "to assist Bellotti in seeking a transition to other employment opportunities currently available to him," according to his release agreement with the school, which specifies April 30 as the effective resignation date.

Bellotti signed the agreement on March 16, the same day he announced the dismissal of basketball coach Ernie Kent and the day before he signed a deal with ESPN to provide analysis and color commentary for college football games."

Got love that. Get paid to quit. I want that deal.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/03/mike_bellottis_golden_parachut.html

the beaver in me has just been laughing so hard that i can't stop to swig my beer with a vicodin, but i must say that i am very sympathetic to the loyal duckfan for all they have had to read in the papers and hear in the news. but there is another message here.

when blount suckered that bsu player last after last year's season opener, the whole ball of misbehavior got rolling. it is sad that athletics have become such an enterprise that now there is protection for criminals so that they can still compete for championships. by not dismissing blount from the team immediately, UO sent a message to the rest of the players that you can commit felonius acts and still play football. of course, its not like the players don't see this in nfl players, too... still, james's fight with his girlfriend, masoli's b & e at the frat house and the fight that landed the kicker in the hospital are all axamples of how the message is being sent wrong. osu players have fallen into trouble in the past too - the beating of a national guardsman outside a corvallis nightclub ring a bell?

kent being fired has nothing to do with all this but bellotti jumping ship is strangely connected. had he not decided to go to espn he would have been the skipper of an athletics department that is reaking of foul players(no pun intended) that he recruited and brought up, himself. when he passed the torch to kelly you have to figure that the players saw a bit of a vulnerable spot and some of them decided to exploit it - kinda like seeing that you have a substitute for your whole 8th grade school year. bellotti's a good guy and a great coach, but i don't think that i could forgive him for leaving if i was a true duckfan... wasn't he being groomed to take over as AD when he decided that the sidelines were no longer the place for him? what a slap in the face for uo - they made bellotti what he is and he crapped all over them. now kelly has to clean up the mess of a team that has put itself into the spotlight as the thugs of college football. poor, poor chip. of course he could have avoided a lot of this if he had just kicked blount off the team right away rather than keeping him around, saying "oh he just made a mistake, and we want to give him every opportunity yada yada yada..." bullshit! he wanted to give the team every opportunity to win and thought that they would still need him - which they didn't anyway since james was able to carry the season load at tb, but he turned into a thug too (or maybe he was one all along).

the era of bellotti ends at uo but it ends while the team has a big black eye. they needed good leadership and kelly is a pussycat with no balls of his own, and now he doesn't even have bellotti's either... a very sad state of affairs in eugene, for everyone. but at least they have cool uniforms, right? :rolleyes:

Kenny, as much as it pains me, I have to admit I agree with most of your post. On the other hand, I don't believe MB ever wanted to be the AD. And if he did, I think he found out really quick that he doesn't give a damn about the volleyball/swimming/danceteam/etc that an AD is responsible for. In addition, I think the Syracuse offer that CK received forced Belotti to take the job to keep Kelly. The big spit in the face move would be if he ever takes another job somewhere else.

Post Script- a little jab at you Rodents- There are punctuation keys/Shift Keys on your keyboard. I know the University of AG in Corvallis didn't care about these skills, but the real world does. :poke: