[TR] Eldorado Attempt - standard 1/10/2010

jordansahls

Trip: Eldorado Attempt - standard

Date: 1/10/2010

Trip Report:

It was with high hopes that Brian and I headed out the door at the early hour of 4 in the am. We have both been training for local endurance events and decided that the monotony of sitting on the spin bike or going up the stair stepper for hours held no appeal this particular weekend.

Instead we thought it would be good to get a long day in while getting views. In this regard, Eldorado almost always delivers.

The weather held the whole time, but with the local warming trend these last few weeks the snow pack was less than ideal. Instead of kicking steps up hill, we progressivly post stepped the whole way up (It also didn't help that I forgot my skins for my skies, Do'H!). It wasnt bad enough to get one to turn around, but not good enough to make the desired progress. We reached the Inspiration glacier around 4pm and decide to forgo the summit in the dark and ski our way out.

The skiing was good down the Eldorado Glacier, but was complete shit the rest of the way down due to the very wet heavy snow. It wasn't a victory by any means, but it felt good to get out and gain some elevation.

Classic J-burg views

Jburg.jpg

Torment looking good

Torment1.jpg

accrosseldorado.jpg

slow going up the Inspiration

upinspiration.jpg

Feeling the wind as the sun starts to set

coldontop.jpg

To quote Brian, "Tired, Sore, Hungry, Getting Dark...I love this Sport".

briannight.jpg

Gear Notes:

We brought a rope, didn't need it. Actually, the more I climb this mountain the more I am comfortable leaving the rope at home, especially this time of year.

Skis, preferably with skins.

Approach Notes:

No snow on the road.

Edited by jordansahls

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaston,

I could be mistaken, but I believe that Jordansahls statement of

Approach Notes:

No snow on the road.

would indicate that at the time of their ascent you can drive to the gravel pit parking lot adjacent to the river crossing to access the climber's path up Roush Creek. It's not at all uncomman for this to be the case in the winter time (approx. 2120ft.)