Randonee Skiing Suggestions

GJHadley

I've lived in the Portland area for ~25 years and have enjoyed climbing Mt. Hood most every year. Some years several climbs and some years not due to weather. I've grown weary of the trudge down the mountain and would like to learn how to use Randonee equipment. I've bought some Fritschi Explore Bindings and a pair of Scarpa Spirit4 boots. I bought some skis a couple of years ago but have determined they are not right for me. They are Atomic TM:X 191s, still in the plastic wrap, made in 2000. I'm ~6'2" and 275#s. I don't ski. I'm looking at Atomic Kailis or RT86 as a possible replacement ski. Suggestion on either ski and correct length? Suggestions for coaching? I would likely be on Mt. Hood for most of the use. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Garth

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garth, admittedly your a 'big guy' thus a useful rule of thumb with respect to appropriste ski length for you would I believe probably lie towards the 188 cm. length. Tou, with all your gear, boots, skis and binding weight, pack and associated equipment will take you in the neighborhood of 300 lbs. Oftentimes it's all about flotation ability, especially in unconsolidated powder snow. The ski length plus its dimensions (tip, waist and tail widths) will dictate a ski's ability to support your weight. Obviously you don't want to wallow in unconsolidated deep snow if at all possible.

I little research at K2's site reveals: HardSide 131/98/119 This means 131cm, widest part of the ski tip; 98cm underfoot and 119cm at the widest portion of the tail. From my brief time at the K2 site, this would certainly be in the general class of skii's you should be looking at. However, there is a ton of skis in this general all mountain randonee category, by several manufacturers. I currently ski in the backountry on two different skis, an older Atomic Kongur and last years Black Diamond Verdict (a little more of a powder, soft snow ski).

FWIW I'm 5'8'' and 157lbs. The Atomic's are 178cm and the Black Diamond's are 180cm.

I would like to suggest that you lay out the cash for a little ski school time and ride the lifts for a couple of days. It'll make the ski down so much more fun and controlled. Trying to ski marginal snow conditions with a full pack is like trying to screw in a light bulb with your feet. You can do it, but it sure ain't fun, and you stand a high likelyhood of getting yourself hurt. Blowing a knee or taking a header into some rock sucks.

With the boot and binding set up you have, once you decide on a ski, I think you'll be dialed in for all kinds of fun new adventures. I'm your weight and ski a 187 cm...I wouldn't go shorter than 180 for sure..nor would I go longer than 195, but I ain't no expert.

Good luck, have fun. Be safe

I've lived in the Portland area for ~25 years and have enjoyed climbing Mt. Hood most every year. Some years several climbs and some years not due to weather. I've grown weary of the trudge down the mountain and would like to learn how to use Randonee equipment. I've bought some Fritschi Explore Bindings and a pair of Scarpa Spirit4 boots. I bought some skis a couple of years ago but have determined they are not right for me. They are Atomic TM:X 191s, still in the plastic wrap, made in 2000. I'm ~6'2" and 275#s. I don't ski. I'm looking at Atomic Kailis or RT86 as a possible replacement ski. Suggestion on either ski and correct length? Suggestions for coaching? I would likely be on Mt. Hood for most of the use. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Garth

Liked my RT86s when I had them. I weighed 180 when I was skiing them, and they felt like they would have been too soft if I had been significantly heavier. They're acrylic, not wood, so they definitely have a different spring to them.

I am not that hot of skier, my "palate" is fairly unrefined. I have a pair of older K2 Work Stinx mounted on tele gear. I have a pair of Karhu Kodiaks mounted tele as well. That being said, I suck at tele and after four years I finally reverted back to locking my heel down again. I found a pair of Rossignol B3's and those 'effin rock. My confidence and ability skyrocketed. It's a mix of learning better balance from my years on tele, plus now having a locked down heel, and some really fun skis.

I have never bought any brand new ski gear. Have always managed to buy on consignment or off the net from ski websites.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a new pair of BD Verdicts. I got a set 190s and they were fun for the one day I used them, but they are a bit big for my weight (190 lb). Used once and in immaculate condition - I'd be willings to sell or trade them, if that was of interest? Let me know. If not I'll mount them with normal bindings and just use them for rocketing on the groomers.

Cheers