"Naked" V-threads

Jake_Gano

I've been doing this more and more recently: I'll thread my 8.6mm half rope directly through the V-thread and then rap. No wasted perlon or webbing.

I've only been doing it in low commitment situations, like when a stuck rope would be be a headache, and not really dangerous. I could imagine the frozen end of a rope getting stuck in the thread. So has anyone been doing this for years without getting the rope stuck?

Also, I haven't carried a pulling wire at all the last two seasons. Because I sometimes bring a few pieces of rock pro out with me ice climbing, I've found that the plastic covered loop on a small Metolius hex or a big stopper works nicely as a thread puller. In a pinch, it also doubles nicely... as a nut. With a little swearing, a tied spectra runner can be used as well.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I make my v-threads angled downhill and haven't had a problem with ropes getting stuck lately. Only time a rope got temporarily stuck was when the v-thread was on a particularly wet climb. If the ice is pretty dry then I don't think there would be an issue of a rope getting stuck.