Gold Bar Bouldering / Reiter Pit

ClipStick

So, the DNR is holding a meeting for possible closure/restriction of the area called Reiter Pit Recreation area, which is the crazy off-road area below the Gold Bar / Zeke's Wall area. Access to this area may be closed if this area is closed to Recreational vehicles, or would greatly limit the access to the areas. Hopefully this will only apply to the creation of new off-trail areas, and not impact the main "Power-line" trail, which is the access road to the upper bouldering areas.

I don't know the details as far as the impact to ORV access or the access for the climbing community, but I thought I would bring it to everyone's attention....

THIS IS OFF OF THE DNR WEBSITE......

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

October 16, 2009

DNR invites the public to hear about restoration and trail work at Reiter Foothills OLYMPIA - The Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is hosting an informal meeting for interested recreationists who want to learn more about winter restoration and trail planning in Reiter Foothills Forest.

The meeting is from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

October 22 at the Park Place Middle School Commons

1408 West Main, in Monroe

Reiter Foothills, located in eastern Snohomish County, has long been a popular recreation area, attracting off-road enthusiasts, campers, equestrians, hikers, mountain bikers, and hunters. In recent years, the area has experienced tremendous growth, particularly in motorized use, including an increase in unauthorized, user-built trails leading to resource destruction. DNR has been working with citizens, user groups, and other partners to create a recreation plan to identify long-term recreation uses and address problems in the area.

At the October 22 meeting, the public can learn more about what actions DNR will be taking in the coming months to restore the environmental health of the area and determine where trails, both motorized and non-motorized, will be located for long-term, sustainable use.

The meeting will also provide the public with an opportunity learn how they can volunteer to help restore the area and get involved in creating recreation opportunities.

For more information about the meeting, contact Candace Johnson at 360-854-2803 or candace.johnson@dnr.wa.gov.

Reiter Foothills Forest

DNR manages Reiter Foothills as an active working forest. The 10,000-acre forest is located 30 miles east of Everett in eastern Snohomish County. Reiter Foothills is not yet an established recreation area.

Media Contact

Toni Droscher, Recreation Program Communications and Outreach Manager, 360-902-1523 or toni.droscher@dnr.wa.gov.

Please visit the site if you have any other questions!!!

http://www.dnr.wa.gov

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Heya, chiming in as a chief Hillbilly here ;-)

I'm interesting in knowing what use you guys are looking for at reiter, and where you currently climb. The closure will only be temporary, while new trails are created per DNR standards. In work is timely and successful, reiter trails will begin re-opening in places come April-May '10.

I'm also interested in any whatcom county climbers. We didn't see any at the sustainability meeting earlier in Oct. There is a multi-use cooperative starting in the county, and we'd love to have you guys have representation. We're currently made up of 4x4, Motorcycles, ATVs, Mtn Bikes, and Horseback riders.

• 1 month later...

Here's a follow-up, from the DNR e-mail list:

-Eric

Reiter Foothills Update - November 24, 2009

Many of you may have attended the November 18 meeting in Monroe to hear about DNR’s upcoming plans for Reiter Foothills.

We had a good turnout at the meeting—about 150 people showed up. Most of the people were from the motorized recreation community. Many folks expressed concerns about the limited size of area proposed for future motorized recreation.

In the coming months, we will be paying extra attention to Reiter Foothills. DNR staff and volunteers will be restoring damaged habitat, beginning construction on new trail systems, and working to improve public safety. DNR will be looking for volunteers to help not only with restoration projects, but to help locate trails and to donate time and heavy equipment to repair damaged areas. Look forward to more information about volunteer work projects in future emails.

Reiter Foothills Planning Update

As most of you know, the Reiter Foothills Forest Recreation Plan is available for public review at this time. The comment period will be open until December 4, 2009.

Written comments can be submitted through DNR’s SEPA Center by email to sepaceter@dnr.wa.gov or by mail to:

DNR SEPA CENTER; P.O. Box 47105; Olympia, WA 98504

How can I get more information?

The Reiter Foothills Forest Recreation Plan is on DNR’s website at: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/RecreationEducation/..._foothills.aspx

Important SEPA documents for the Reiter Foothills Forest Recreation Plan are available at: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/ResearchScience/Topi...reiter_jan.aspx

Reiter Foothills Plan Implementation Update

DNR will continue to implement elements of the recreation plan in the coming months. DNR staff is currently working on developing the following implementation objectives:

• Reiter Foothills Forest Watch Patrol

• Reiter Foothills Advisory Committee

• Restoration Work Plan

• Volunteer work project schedule

• Motorized and non motorized trail design

• Trailhead design

• Funding opportunities

• Partnership opportunities

Reiter Foothills Enforcement Update

On November 2, we closed Reiter Foothills to all uses except foot traffic. DNR law enforcement has spent a considerable amount of time in the last couple of weeks patrolling the area. We are very pleased with the high level of compliance on this temporary closure. Only a few citations have been written to motorized and non-motorized recreationists. Thank you to all the users who have cooperated with the closure.

Thanks to all the volunteers who have donated time, equipment, and materials for the planning and on-site work thus far!

If you have questions or comments, would like additional information, or would like to volunteer to work at Reiter, please contact David Way at 360-854-2830.

Candace Johnson

Assistant Region Manager, State Lands

Department of Natural Resources

The public comment period for the plan ends Dec 4. I have 2 major concerns with the Plan right now, namely:

1. It pushes the ORV people closer to the top of the Index Upper Town Wall (I think. I don't fully understand the map). If you've ever been up there when the ORV bottle kids have been trundling from above, you will share my concern here.

2. You'll have to park at Rieter from now on. This doubles the approach to Zeke's Wall. If you are one of the tiny number people that actually climb at Zeke's, you may actually care about this as well. Same applies if you're an old man boulderer like myself with creaky knees and a crash pad the size and weight of a queen futon.

I hope other climbers will join me in making their voices heard here. DNR is mainly hearing from the ORV people, but they are looking for comments from other user groups.

-Eric

Edited by SuperSparky