Backyard Dry Tool Set-up?

Stime

I'd like to put together a simple backyard "gym" to play around on/work out with my tools. Not really sure what the best course of action is, but I'd love to hear any ideas/opinions, or better yet, of any setups you guys have come up with.

My current plan is simply to bolt a solid board between two trees and make a short traverse. It'd be easy and should work fine, I could even add a few loops of webbing hanging down to add a few options for pick placement. A couple places I've lived in the last few months had similar loop traverses and they were fun.

So, yeah, anyone done anything like I'm describing? I don't want it too be overly complicated, I mainly just want it to work out on. My days on the ice are very limited in the winter so I'd like to spend as few as possible getting my arms in the swing of things.

Thanks.

- Scott

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I built an Ice training tower one time. It was 24 ft high made from 2x10's. It had 2x4 blocks screwed to the sides with holes drilled that fit ice screws so you could practice placing screws, one of the hardest parts of ice climbing. It had a piece of rope in the center that you could put ascenders or prusiks on. It was set up so you could change the angle from 80 to 90 to 100 deg.

It got so picked out eventually there were holes completely through that you could hook, you could also hook the blocks on the side. Only vertical front point cramps would work because of the grain of the wood. You also have to wear ski gloves to get the full effect. The neighbors will kind of freak out also until you take the time to explain what in the heck you're doing.

• 3 weeks later...
I built an Ice training tower one time. It was 24 ft high made from 2x10's. It had 2x4 blocks screwed to the sides with holes drilled that fit ice screws so you could practice placing screws, one of the hardest parts of ice climbing. It had a piece of rope in the center that you could put ascenders or prusiks on. It was set up so you could change the angle from 80 to 90 to 100 deg.

Got any pics of that setup? Sounds schweet!!