Eliphant Foots

robpatterson5

Anyone use Eliphants foots bags or have any thoughts on them?

I've always been tempted by the weight savings but just saw the new North Face one and was tempted for summer trips or emergincy gear in the winter touring. Wondering if they are a good option at all?

Also anyone used Al crampons for alpine summer rock climbs? I'm tempted by the weight savings but don't want to sandbag myself with them

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used elephant-foot (half-bag)systems for bivvy's, but found that I actually save weight by using an ultralight down bag, instead. I may not be totally current on models, but I believe Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, and Marmot all have ultralight models that weigh in at around a pound. I've not seen a half-bag that weighs that little, and with a half-bag I have to carry a heavier coat for the top half. The ultralight down "pounder" allows me to carry a lighter belay jacket which, worn inside the light bag, keeps me adequately warm to sleep; and the combination weighs significantly less than a half-bag and heavier jacket... A bonus to this system is that I also get to use the "pounder" as a liner in a light three-season bag to produce and expedition-weight combination for alaskan/or extreme-winter trips.

I don't have any experience with aluminum crampons. I often throw a pair of yaktrax in a pocket for the odd questionable snowfield, but if I expect to need crampons, I carry steel. I've actually worn out several pairs of steel crampons over forty years of alpine climbing, and I can't imagine aluminum holding up to any amount of abuse on rock...

Edited by montypiton

Thanks Montypiton, thats what I suspected. Unfortumently I think that even with my DAS parka the TNF Elipants foot will only be a realistic 20F bag - and at those tempratures I usualy bring a lighter belay jacket anyways. Too bad, might have been a cool way to save some weight.

Re: Al crampons, I know steel is good. Still I'd much rather scramble easy climbs in sneakers then in summer climbing boots and my steel's need a rear clip.

Too bad.

I tried the elephants foot scheme and never found it as warm as a full sized sleeping bag. Feathered Friends used to have the Rock Wren, which had a drawstring opening at the foot and arm zippers which made walking and cooking while in your sleeping bag possible...perfect for ledge bivy action. I have a Montbell Alpine down hugger sleeping bag which is 1 lb. 2 oz. and keeps me reasonbly warm on ultralight forays. If it's really cold, I just add the belay jacket. I actually use aluminum crampons (Trango Alpine Light). I have used them for climbs like Rainier, Whitehorse, Sahale, etc. They have worked well and didn't dull much or bend at all. But if I expect any amount of rock or ice...out comes the steel. I'd rather be safe than save the weight. Hope that helps, Cheers!