Did anyone summit Rainier this w/e?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people made it up.

We went via Gibraltar Ledges and came down the Ingraham Direct.

Snow was very firm in the wee hours; made for good cramponing with small areas of unconsolidated windblown fluff. It was a bit windy on the upper mountain, 30mph with gusts to 50 or so.

It was a mushy shitshow on the way down, especially on the Muir snowfield in the afternoon.

Many people made it up.

We went via Gibraltar Ledges and came down the Ingraham Direct.

Snow was very firm in the wee hours; made for good cramponing with small areas of unconsolidated windblown fluff. It was a bit windy on the upper mountain, 30mph with gusts to 50 or so.

It was a mushy shitshow on the way down, especially on the Muir snowfield in the afternoon.

Excellent! How long would you say the ledges will still be "in"?

For a few more weeks, I think.

Some of the 3rd class around Gib Rock had very little snow. That will turn into exposed chossy scrambling, no worse than Disappointment Cleaver. The "chute" was in really good shape, it will take a while for that to melt out, I think.

The biggest concern is rockfall off Gibraltar. Start very early to get by this section before it gets warm.

For a few more weeks, I think.

Some of the 3rd class around Gib Rock had very little snow. That will turn into exposed chossy scrambling, no worse than Disappointment Cleaver. The "chute" was in really good shape, it will take a while for that to melt out, I think.

The biggest concern is rockfall off Gibraltar. Start very early to get by this section before it gets warm.

Thanks, man. I'm headed to Logan this w/e - we'll see if I can fit Rainier in soon though.