Mt Pugh

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Back a couple weeks ago I was interested in upcoming weather patterns. The NOAA 30 day prediction called for normal precipitation and below normal temperatures.

Between that and watching the rate at which trees in the lowlands are leafing out at I figure the transition period between winter and spring is longer and or later this year than other years.

To me that implies avy conditions in the mountains are still more winter like. You make the call, but I wouldn't just look at the calendar and decide that avy potential is low now.

That slope on Pugh heading up to Stujack Pass could be a problem. I think it's west facing, given the typical recent snow conditions (some new snow on top of marginally supportive crust on top of feet of unconsolidated mush on top of potential bed surface) and the forecast for sun there's a good chance it will be a deep sloppy mess, and potentially hazardous. I would probably pass on Pugh and pick something else. Seems like a good weekend to stick to ridges and out of big slide paths.

If you haven't checked already, there are a few threads on turns all year that may be helpful. The Chinook Pass opening thread is interesting. Have a great time whatever you end up doing.