Climb/ski Hood in a couple weeks

jared W

So, my buddy and I are headed out from the 16th to the 21st of April. We'd like to carry skis up a harder route and ski down the easy part of the standard route on the way down. We were thinking up Wy'East or Leuthold or Reid Glacier Headwall. Any suggestions are appreciated. We have glacier and technical ice experience here and internationally but I'd prefer fun versus paying out the nose to bring a ton of gear on the plane. Maybe 50-60 degree snow and WI3 at the most but routes not requiring ice screws would be fine as well.

What do people like for moderately technical, safe (avy wise) with a good route to the standard to ski down?

Thanks,

Jared

Edited by jared W

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want more of a "mountain to yourself" kind of experience, one of the best descents on Hood is Wy'East. Going from Meadows should be just as fast as timberline. Climbing is kind of dull till the final 1000' along the East ridge. Go early, then wait for the corn.