BD venom axes for fast and light moderate alpine?

coldiron

I have one 50 cm BD Venom hammer, and am considering buying a Venom adze for a lightweight pair of tools I can use on moderate alpine routes and ski mountaineering trips. I'll run the Tech picks on both.

On ski trips I often run into sections that call for two tools, but I am primarily out skiing and don't want the extra weight of my regular ice tools. Sometimes I don't necessarily need to take the technical route, it's just more fun; but I'm done with being gripped in sketchy terrain with an ultralight Camp axe in one hand and a BD Whippet in the other. Has anyone used the venoms for moderate ice? Do you think the weight savings are worthwhile? Are there other tools that are significantly better than the Venoms for ice, but will still function as an alpine axe (plunge and self arrest) and weigh around a pound?

Edited by coldiron

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Venom axe and hammer combo and have used them on moderate glacier ice, steep hard snow, and short(10-20 foot) steps of vertical ice. They work great. I wouldn't use them for long ice routes...there are lighter better ice tools. But for moderate alpine stuff I've been very happy.

I picked up one of these for $50 on closeout at REI. http://camp-usa.com/products/ice-axes/alpax-special-hammer-100402.asp

Quick change pinky rest for plunging and leashless. Pretty light at <20 oz. Seems just about perfect for couloir climbing and other moderate alpine endeavors. I hoped to give it a try last weekend, but we bailed before the start of our route. I have faith it will serve it's purpose well. I'm looking for a companion for mine if anybody wants to unload one.

I picked up one of these for $50 on closeout at REI. http://camp-usa.com/products/ice-axes/alpax-special-hammer-100402.asp

Quick change pinky rest for plunging and leashless. Pretty light at <20 oz. Seems just about perfect for couloir climbing and other moderate alpine endeavors. I hoped to give it a try last weekend, but we bailed before the start of our route. I have faith it will serve it's purpose well. I'm looking for a companion for mine if anybody wants to unload one.

Damn, that Alpax looks pretty sweet. I like the retractable pinky rest, and the pick and head look a little more aggressive than the Venom. Nice find!

Thanks! That picture is from this summer's attempted first ascent of Rostrum Peak's East Ridge in the Canadian Rockies (see TR Rostrum Peak) Alas, the weather sucked and the rock band above where this picture was taken was slick and hard to protect. I ended up bailing a few hundred feet from the summit.

• 6 months later...

Take a close look at the Aztarex. Used them on Lib Ridge this year and was very pleased. They plunge well and swing like only a Petzl tool can swing. They too have the retractable rest for leashless use. However, you need to remove and replace a screw to change over.

• 5 months later...

i use the 64cm venom with a regular ice axe (on easy alpine ice routes) and the 64cm venom with an aztar/ex (for more moderate climbs, eg ice cliff glacier) and I really like the combo - the venom doubles as an axe and a tool and handles alpine ice very well. you'll be hard pressed to find an alpine ice route in the cascades that requires more than the venom+aztar/ex combo (ok, maybe colfax peak).

I wanted to be able to use my venoms leashless, so I made a pinky rest for them. It works great as a pinky rest, but it also is able to slide up the shaft for effective plunging. It sticks above the bend and stays there until you slide it down again.

This makes the venom pretty versatile. I think this attachment would work for axes similar to the venom as well...

PC150508.JPG

PC150507.JPG

I drilled and tapped it. This way I can remove it if I want to, and it doesn't really leave much of a mark when it's off. I think a self-tapping screw would work too, if you don't have a tapping set. I haven't really used the tool on anything serious yet, because I made the part very recently. I've mostly hung around on stuff at my house. I can't really speak to it's reliability, though it feels pretty solid. I'm planning on putting it to use this weekend though- I'll let you know how it performs and what its weaknesses are. I'll try to get some more detailed pictures up within the next day or two as well.

• 1 year later...
i use the 64cm venom with a regular ice axe (on easy alpine ice routes) and the 64cm venom with an aztar/ex (for more moderate climbs, eg ice cliff glacier) and I really like the combo - the venom doubles as an axe and a tool and handles alpine ice very well. you'll be hard pressed to find an alpine ice route in the cascades that requires more than the venom+aztar/ex combo (ok, maybe colfax peak).

+1, I use the Grivel Tech Evo 57cm and Aztar... I think Venom might be better because you can replace a pick... This is perfect combo for me for Alpine and technical stuff on Rainier...