Owyhee Country

shapp

Some one recently inquired about Leslie Gulch down in the Owyhee Country of Oregon, more like Idaho than "Oregon Cascades" so I thought I would post a little photo TR from this May when a friend and I floated the Lower Owyhee, drank a lot of booze (a 5th of Bend distillery gin in about 1 hour between 2 semi-coherent animals, did a lot of hiking, ate a lot of food, scoped a lot of crags, and general went cave man - river style. There are a lot of crags down there, mostly choss, but some looking halfway sane and very cool with some good looking crack lines that appear fairly solid for free and/or aid for several pitches - Yo, going down next spring (water levels providing) again to do less scoping and more climbing.

P5200173.JPG

shapp_owyhee_28_.JPG

shapp_owyhee_83_.JPG

shapp_owyhee_96_.JPG

125.JPG

219.JPG

314.JPG

413.JPG

58.JPG

79.JPG

67.JPG

85.JPG

910.JPG

106.JPG

1112.JPG

126.JPG

135.JPG

146.JPG

153.JPG

163.JPG

182.JPG

172.JPG

203.JPG

192.JPG

2110.JPG

224.JPG

232.JPG

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:tup:

Very cool stuff. some of the rock looks like east wall of smith group. how tall some of these spires, eg

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/500/medium/1112.JPG

?

I floated that section in March and was thinking the same thing. It would be nice to get in there and devote a day or two to scoping out some lines. I recall that some of the spires were several hundred feet in height.

those are great shots, and indeed that is beautiful country. my brother in law and I head down there about once a year, though sadly this year he has been sick and unable to go. here are some photos from our '06 trip, organized by a basco from jordan valley who knows a lot of ranchers and got permission for us to camp out on some pretty amazing private land.

Indian paintings

Owyhee River

Owyhee River 2

Jordan Craters

Leslie Gulch and Succor Creek

we too drank a lot of booze, rode through horrendous hailstorms and ended the careers of numerous ground squirrels. anyone who has not been down there should lay some plans.

yer indian paintings link is just a buncha drunks guys

look to the right side of your browser window. there is a 'thingy' there called a scroll-bar. point at it, click the mouse button, hold it down, and then pull it down with the mouse. the photographs of the drunks will disappear, and then some basalt with indian paintings will appear. like magic.

luckily the best petroglyphs are hidden away in the remote canyon , there is one particular are with hundreds such as these posted below, it is the best petroglyph site in all of Eastern Oregon from what I am told. We spent about 3 hours looking around, and I have photos of probably 100 of these.

shapp_owyhee_49_.JPG

shapp_owyhee_46_.JPG

shapp_owyhee_45_.JPG

shapp_owyhee_41_.JPG

shapp_owyhee_39_.JPG