Stimulus II

prole

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some say it's a problem of insolvency not liquidity.

Regarding corporate bailouts: Bernanke Is Fighting the Last War --WSJ

What's scarier, her prescriptions or the Treasury and Fed's tack? Free market fundamentalists operating under the simplest of assumptions like this give me the willies.

..."firms that made wrong decisions should fail," she says bluntly. "You shouldn't rescue them. And once that's established as a principle, I think the market recognizes that it makes sense. Everything works much better when wrong decisions are punished and good decisions make you rich."

Like cold-war intellectuals debating the relative merits of "mutually assured destruction".

Which is scarier? Depends on what's driving the fear. If it's grounded on an irrational basis or it derives from emotions such as anger then perhaps I need to reexamine my perceptions. If I've looked at things rationally and still fear unknown consequences then maybe it's more of matter of being informed and perparing for that eventuality. I don't know if there is a correct answer but I see so many people pretending to act as if they know the absolute way (and not just the religious).

I read Richard Dawkins, The Selfish Gene long ago and I agree with his arguments but I've never read any Ayn Rand. I'm not sure I agree that self-interest is above all. So yeah, philosophically I'm a little on the fence but I'm ready to fall squarely into the communitarian side for self-preservation. How's that for contradictions?

RE: MAD doctrine. Makes sense as appropriate balance of power but at what social expense? Makes no sense on the social domestic level. But makes as much sense as complete disarmament.

Or,...should I look at It from a Grand Narrative standpoint?