PNW Newbie Setup

intheways

Hey everyone!

I haven't posted much in the forums, but I just moved here from Montana a while back. I'm looking for opinions on a solid 50/50 Resort/BC setup. In the past, I have used G-Rides with Naxos on Atomic Stomps for the relatively lighter fluff in Montana. I felt the skis were a bit noodley, but the boots and bindings were good. I have since sold the gear.

I figure I should go a bit stiffer ski wise for the notorious Cascade Cement, but I am unsure about the boots. I like the G-Rides and figure I can find a pair at a decent price used, but I am open to suggestion for other boots. The market has changed a lot since I had the previously mentioned setup. I plan to use Fritschi Explores for bindings.

My skiing is not very aggressive, but I like to ski all terrains and snow types. My skiing will include occasional frontcountry and primarily, day trips into the backcountry with occasional hut and mountaineering trips.

Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of new boots this year. BD has their new line, which I've heard good things about, and Garmont came out with the Axons, which are supposedly a do-it all sorta boot.

What kinda weight boot are you looking for? Aren't the G-rides the same as the mega-rides as far as stiffness?

As far as skis... I love my BD Havocs and know lots of folk here like the K2 Shuksans and Baker.

If you do get the Explores, spend the extra and get the breaks for them. Their leashes suck. The Velcro is shitty, they are not quite long enough, they suck. Also if I get caught in an avy (knock on wood I don't) but I don't really want my skis flying around behind me as I get sucked into that vortex.