WFR/ MOFA/ wilderness EMT

Courtenay

This post stems off the shoulder dislocation/relocation post. This stuff is fascinating to me; anyone else have stories of wilderness medicine training put into good use? I've always wondered if anyone I know has ever encountered (for example) a sucking chest wound. Always a favorite among MOFA students, but I think if it were to actually happen in the wilderness it would be quite unnerving for all involved. Anyone else have recommendations for the WFR courses? Is there any training more advanced than MOFA but not quite at the EMT level that climbers would benefit from having?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Courtenay,

A "wilderness" EMT course is available and is provided in Pitkin, Colorado. The down side is that it is expensive (about $1600) and requires that you go to Colorado for about two or three weeks. However, this course will pretty much dial you in to deal with just about everything imaginable in a remote setting where "911" isn't available, and someone's injuries require immediate medical intervention. I've taken MOFA and also a regular (city) EMT, and also some wilderness oriented 1st responder training; MOFA is a good introductory course but it falls far short of the other options out there. For most, a WFR course is the most practical, affordable and comprehensive option available.

WFR goes WAY beyond what MOFA offered. I just graduated from the Basic Climbing Course offered through the Mountaineers and found the MOFA class to be very disappointing. I took WFR up in Bellingham back in 92 where it was offered through the Red Cross, it was only about $300 then and was a 90 hour course. I attribute the success of this course primarily to the excellent instructor who now appears to offer the same course through AAI. His name is Kelly Turner and I would HIGHLY recommend the course. It costs more $ now, and is offered in a different format than before. I think they do a big intensive week or so, check their website. In contrast to MOFA, we were all practically on our way to becoming EMT's by the end of that course. They have a WFR refresher I have been thinking about taking sometime up there as well which would be good for me. Hats off to the Mountaineers for requiring MOFA however as some first aid training is better than nothing, but if you're serious about it, definitely go for the WFR. Luckily I've never had to do anything more serious than help the ski patrol get a boarder down at Crystal Mtn, and pull a tick out of a girls' butt down in Chiapas. Lucky me huh?

I did a WMA WFR course in 1995. Great course!

About 2 weeks after I completed the course, I was parked at a red light near the mall in Bellingham, when *SMACK* right before my eyes an Isuzu Trooper broadsides and rolls an old VW beetle with (get this) 7 people inside. I pulled my trusty medical kit out of the car and proceeded to the scene. Another guy there was an EMT. No one died, and everyone in the beetle was so panicked that they just PILED out of that thing at light speed, so forget about keeping their necks immolbilized! Between the two of us we did the best we could, one woman had a bad jaw injury.

Not one week later, I am going up my first ever Burley Canadian Rockies Ice Climb (Louise Falls, eh?) and a leader on the pitch above us takes a HUUUUGE fall! He ends up being alright, but the belayer has a broken left leg. We bring everyone up to the belay, and proceed to splint up the dudes leg and lower him down the climb. Not much blood, everyone calm. The dude who took the fall ends up walking out to the car while the guy with the fracture gets a helicopter evac...from Louise Falls!

A few years later I am sitting in Rampart eating mush, and some doctor from Rocky Mountain House is sitting next to me telling this same story. Turns out he was the other party on the climb who helped us evacuate this pair.

Everyone who takes climbing seriously should complete one of these courses.

Alex