[TR] biking ! vallunaraju 5650m aug 08 - the main

Trip: biking ! vallunaraju 5650m aug 08 - the main huella

Date: 8/19/2008

Trip Report:

the day before i travelled to ny, i was at parke del periodista and observed the boys from galaxia putting small bolts thru a bike tire!i went over and was told they were going to valluna that nite to test the bike and tires. nenee invited me to give them a hand . i was a little wiped as i had done the santa cruz trek in 6:57min, running, the day before. inspired by the guys i agreed and we left huaraz at 3am. an hour taxi later we started climbing up to the glacier. nenee was carrying the entire bike strapped to his pack. we stopped a few times so they could sleep . jaime was with us. after 3hrs we reached glacier.daybreak hit as we started up the glacier. i went ahead about 10m with the rope attached to the bike to pull and nenee walking it. it got a little tricky on steep slopes and crossing crevasses but we sumitted at 9am.we took pics and vids and started going down. nenee rode from the summit untill the really exposed part before the col. slow at first to test things, but the braking worked..

there was a group of english climbers , head down, slogging to the highest peak of their life when a bike wizzzed by!!!

the look was priceless.after the col, nenee picked the pace and by the end was jumping crevasses!he had to stay in the trail most of the time or faceplant. at one point i was glissading down a steeper slope to get ahead to take pics when he flew by, right on the packed snow!!!

we later had a nice meal at encuentro to celebrate. nenee was beaming!!

DSC04478.JPG

DSC04481_2_.JPG

vallu_cuzco_008.jpg

vallu_cuzco_012.jpg

vallu_cuzco_014.jpg

DSC04512.JPG

huascaran , hualcan , copa in background...

DSC04508.JPG

DSC04519_2_.JPG

vallu_cuzco_039.jpg

DSC04528_2_.JPG

vallu_cuzco_041.jpg

vallu_cuzco_043.jpg

vallu_cuzco_042.jpg

vallu_cuzco_047.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is freaking funny. Not really worth it though, I have done some snow riding before and it not as easy as you would think it would be no matter what type of studded tires you have on.

wdh dya mean? he got up to maybe 15-25 mph on some sections when he got out of the main trail and onto the icy slope, at 18,000 ft.....